wiring joint question

Got a 12ga wire running along under a panel in a hard to get to place. With great efforts and contortions, I can reach it to cut it and strip insulation of the cut ends.

What I need to do is rejoin the cut ends, and come off with an additional wire to go to a different location.

If there's slack, I can put the three ends together and use a wire nut.

Assuming there isn't enough slack for the wire nut trick, are there any neat little critters out there for this specific purpose? What are they called? Who has 'em?

Reply to
RB

Take it back and add a box so you can do a quality job. Dont leave pull on wirenuts!

electrical supplies cable wirenuts boxes etc are cheap. do a quality job right the first time then go relax:)

Reply to
hallerb

I'm not sure what you mean by "under a panel". Is it a metal panel covering a wiring trough or something like that?

Also, when you say "wire" do you really mean a single conductor or is it more likely something like a piece of 12-3 Romex?

If that "wire" is just running through construction than I don't think there's any code legal way you can cut into it and take off an additional lead going to another location without installing a box to make the splices in.

If you can't gain enough slack to create decent length pigtails from the existing conductors inside one box then you may have to install two boxes, using one of them as a splice box to add an additional length to one of the cut ends and the second box to make your tap off connection in.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It is hard to tell exactly what you are doing, but it sounds like it would not pass code.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan