Wiring instructions for Heat Pump.. Please help!

I have an old GE Weathertron thermostat that I am trying to swap out with a new Ritetemp... I have a heatpump.

Here's my problem:

On the new unit I have the following:

  1. C - Common Side of of Heating Power
  2. RC - Cooling Power
  3. O - Damper or Changeover Valve (Powered in Cool)
  4. B - Damper or Changeover Valve (Powered in Heat)
  5. RH - Heating Power
  6. W - Heating Control
  7. Y - Compressor
  8. G - Fan Relay

On the old GE Weathertron I have the following:

  1. R - Cooling Power - So this should goto the RC on the new unit
  2. T - I am clueless... what is this?
  3. O - Damper Cool - So this should goto the O on the new unit
  4. G - Fan Relay - this should goto the G on the new unit
  5. Y - Compressor - this should goto the Y on the new unit
  6. X2 - What is this?!
  7. B - Damper Heat - this should goto the B on the new unit
  8. U - see attached picture.. this crosses over with the W?? What does this do?
  9. W - Heating Control - this should goto the W on the new unit

So my question is what is T, U, X2 this where should it go on the new unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Reply to
Kevina

Your really talking about a very old heat pump here. GE has been out of business for almost 20 years.

I don't think your new stat will work on this system. I have never found an over the counter stat to work with the older GE and Trane units.

T= is used with the outdoor air sensor which works with an anticipator built inside the thermostat so it controls the temperature in the room more accurately. Your new stat doesn't have this capability.

O= on the older stat is NOT Damper Cool, it should be going to the reversing solenoid coil. In commercial stats we sometimes use O for a damper, but I haven't seen it used as such in residential

U is just a jumper to turn on the blue light that is on your stat.

B is not a Damper Heat. B is the common!

I can't see the picture, my provider forbids binaries on a non-binary newsgroup. However, what your saying the old stat does isn't anything close to what I'm seeing in my wire diagram.

I have seen a house burnt to the ground in 1983 when a homeowner changed his thermostat and the stat melted and caught the carpet on fire. You are going to maybe the second one if you have an oversized VA transformer and wire this wrong!

If you are not sure what your doing, take that stat back and call a Trane or American Standard Dealer. They bought out GE and can get the exact thermostat you need. I also suggest you change out this antique when finances permit and start saving lots of energy and maintenance costs in the near future. What is that thing, a 6 SEER, while the new ones are up to 16 or higher.

Reply to
Geoman

The above would indeed be wrong.

The above on B is wrong, the O is wrong, and you have the wrong stat...

No place, you have the wrong stat, but the correct one can possibly be had from a Trane, or American Standard dealer..

I have to agree with the others...why are you wasting money on a 5.5SEER unit?

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

Hi Kevina, hope you are having a nice day

On 03-Apr-04 At About 11:55:21, Kevina wrote to All Subject: Wiring instructions for Heat Pump.. Please help!

K> From: Kevina

K> I have an old GE Weathertron thermostat that I am trying to swap out K> with a new Ritetemp... I have a heatpump.

K> Here's my problem:

K> On the new unit I have the following: 1. C - Common Side of of K> Heating Power 2. RC - Cooling Power 3. O - Damper or Changeover K> Valve (Powered in Cool) 4. B - Damper or Changeover Valve (Powered K> in Heat) 5. RH - Heating Power 6. W - Heating Control 7. Y - K> Compressor 8. G - Fan Relay

K> On the old GE Weathertron I have the following: 1. R - Cooling Power K> - So this should goto the RC on the new unit 2. T - I am K> clueless... what is this? 3. O - Damper Cool - So this should goto K> the O on the new unit 4. G - Fan Relay - this should goto the G on K> the new unit 5. Y - Compressor - this should goto the Y on the new K> unit 6. X2 - What is this?! 7. B - Damper Heat - this should goto K> the B on the new unit 8. U - see attached picture.. this crosses K> over with the W?? What does this do? 9. W - Heating Control - this K> should goto the W on the new unit

K> So my question is what is T, U, X2 this where should it go on the new K> unit?

you bought the wrong thermostat for a heat pump. hopefully you can return it. your best bet is to call a local company to install the proper thermostat for you. if you are doing this for the setback it is better to set a heat pump thermostat and leave it alone. setting it back costs you a lot more money due to the recovery in the setup mode.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2