wiring a light fixture to an exiting 3 way switch

I am wiring a light fixture to an existing 3 way light switch. In the junction box in my ceiling I have 4 wires, a ground, white, black, and a red wire. How should I wire my fixture in order for the 2 light switches to work.

Currently I have the white wire from the fixture wired to the white from the box, and the black wire from the fixture wired to the black wire in the box. I have the red wire from the junction box capped off. Only one of my light switches currently turn on the new light. What have I done wrong.

Reply to
rookie

Realistically, since you're only talking about two 3 way switches, I'd turn off your panel, remove the two switches, ohm out the wires to get an idea of what goes where, re-connect the wires, and you'll be set.

This may be a better way... On a hunch I googled wiring three way switch and got a bunch of good links. Here is one

it has EIGHT different options on how your circuit may be wired. This may help you out.

Reply to
autonut843

Hard to help ya since the information given is not enough to deterimine what is really going on.

Having a red and black in the box tends to lead one to think that it was set up for a fan and light combo.

Your going to have to take the switches apart and see what wires that they have. If there are just 2 wires on the switch then it is not a 3 way switch. If there are 3 wires on both switches then this is a case of confusion for me.

Reply to
SQLit

If this is an existing ceiling outlet, which was connected to an existing, working three way switch setup, you should connect the fixture to whichever of the two wires plus ground that it was connected to. Having only one three wire cable in the ceiling box would mean that the feed and switch legs are already going between the switches and for some reason a spare conductor was run to the ceiling. Try the white and each of the colored wires and see which set works

Reply to
RBM