Wireless intercom system? ? ?

We live in a 92-year-old coop building with six units. The doorbell/intercom system, which might be original, is giving endless trouble.

We would like to get a wireless intercom system with one phone (or speaker) at the entrance which would enable visitors to announce themselves to the resident they are visiting.

I don't even know where to start. Any guidance will be most appreciated.

Reply to
Ray

*You can do a search for commercial, multi-location and multi-family wireless intercoms and see what comes up. There are contractors, electrical and/or just low voltage that specialize in this type of work. Check the yellow pages, talk to property managers, ask around at supply companies.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Radio Shack believe it or not, IFF they have people with any real experience even better. X10.com has lots of good stuff but you have to watch and read carefully what you're buying. I have lots of X10 stuff and love it!

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Careful. They are one of the worst spammers on the planet. If you don't like spam, steer wide around X10.com.

Reply to
krw

ROFL...

So have the OLD system checked out by an electrician or telecomm company that deals with such installs... They can tell you whether it is your devices which are failing due to age, or if it is your wiring...

A wireless system is NOT the way to go... Especially if you have a door release you are operating...

You need to look in the yellow pages for a commercial electrician who deals in controls and such systems, a telecomm company, or a decent professional locksmith who can refer you to a good local installer in your area for a new intercom system...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan
[snip]

Yes, although X10 products can be good. Find someplace else to buy them.

Also, avoid wireless (RF) when possible. It's more complex (and so less reliable), and less secure.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They're fun, but I would never call X10 "good" and would *NEVER* use them in a critical application.

Can't be less reliable, or secure. Not possible. ;-)/2

Reply to
krw