Wire size for 250' to garage?????

Don't want to answer *you*. You asked the question only to be argumentative. Go away.
--
Regards,
usenet.com> wrote:

No, I asked the question to get your input. So please answer the question.
For clarification, Ex #2 as posted earlier...
#2 HV lines to transformer, trans to meter on pedestal, meter to distribution panel on ped, d-panel to house - d-panel to garage.
Can you run UF from the d-panel to a house/garage?

If there's a disconnect in the distribution panel, then that's the service entrance, and the lines from there to anywhere else are feeders.
--
Regards,

Does the disconnect have to provide overcurrent protection as well?

Where'd Doug go?
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Gee, now who could that be.

You?
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Yes you can but to get enough current and a low enough voltage drop for reasonably efficient operation you will be running individual UF single conductor cables. In the sizes you will need to supply the house and the garage that is the only way type UF is available. If there are any livestock on the premise then I suggest that you run separate neutral and ground conductors in spite of the additional cost. -- Tom Horne

is a line near enough. Or are you fed out at the road, and this is the back forty, and you'd have to pay for another pole? Yes, the upfront costs would be higher, but if you use much juice out there, it'll be more reliable, and would certainly scare the eventual purchaser of the place less.
aem sends...

Not a good idea in some areas depending on the electrical utility. A separate service at an outbuilding may be considered "commercial" even though it's a residential garage. This means you might be paying commercial rates plus a meter-reading/billing fee each month. In my case, this meant about $12 a month whether I used any power or not. Much better to keep it on the residential meter. YMMV

(Yeah, you're right- but it does vary by area. A rural co-op company would probably understand, but an electric company with a pretty building downtown might not. Probably best to call their customer service line and ask hypothetical questions.)
aem sends...

I ran underground wiring to the garage I built 150 feet from the panel. I wanted only 30 amp service and used # 4 copper. Has been very satisfactory for ten+ years. Bob-tx