Wire For Floor Lamp ?

Hello,
Have to re-wire a floor lamp.
I see that one can purchase #16 gauge wire for it in apparently two flavors.
One, being the conventional rubber coated two conductor wire.
The other being wire with what looks like a pretty tough plastic coating.
Is the plastic "better" and tougher ? A better choice ?
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
On 09/30/2015 07:05 AM, Bob wrote:

Although the plastic coated wire /might/ be better... the standard cord should be fine. I have several lamps here with the original 50+ year old cord...that are still fine.
When you replace the cord you might as well put on a polarized plug and ensure the lamp switch is on the "hot" side and the bulb tip goes to it.
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 8:06:04 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:

Did you apply for a permit to rewire this lamp? It may take 2 or more presentations before the town board or HOA before they'll even consider voting on this project.
Where will you source the new wire from? Will you be using an approved vendor? Will 52% of the business be conducted with a minority and/or women owned business?
How will you dispose of the old wire? Have you completed an environmental impact study?
Who will perform the actual work? Is that person or persons licensed in the jurisdiction granting the aforementioned approval? Are they insured for the maximum possible damage that might occur if something goes terribly wrong during the rewiring?
Do you carry an umbrella policy to cover yourself for damages not caused by the contractor but that occurred as a result of this undertaking? Can you supply proof that the carrier of this policy has the funds to actually pay the full amount of the coverage?
I think you have a lot of work to do before you go out and buy any wire.

Thanks Derby. I enjoyed your reality check.
John G

The biggest issue might be what you can actually pull up through the lamp.
On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:31:11 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Generally the plastic pulls easier than the rubber, but either should work. The plastic type is tuffer, generally speaking.
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 4:22:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Grab some lube from the nightstand.