Windows

Hello again all, I am confused about which windows to put in the new home I will be building soon, in the Houston Tx area.Consumer Reports recommends Anderson and Pella wood and vinyl clad windows,but I am unsure about either because 1) termites are a problem here 2) moisture is also a problem, and 3) I have seen vinyl deteriorate over time d/t UV exposure. Most window sites are currently recommending some form of vinyl or vinyl clad windows these days,and I understand that aluminum will, to some degree, act as a thermal bridge. All things being considered,I still think aluminum sash is the way to go if only because it will hold up to the above mentioned elements indefinitely. Am I totally off base here? What do some of you tradesmen think? Again, thanks in advance for constructive input.
Tim

If you are worried go fiberglass, if you want the best insulating glass, near R 7 look at Loewen or Alpen.
Tim wrote:

I put Andersen windows in my home when it was built. All casement windows have failed (40+ of them). The custom made, windows...pentagonal, triangular and large ones (10 x 10 ft) have not failed.
The failures have been due to leakage of the gas placed between the two panes. The result is that the two pieces of glass touch. Thermal performance is horrible when this happens, moisture condenses, and the pattern formed looks lousy.
I would never buy Andersen again.
Pella seems to me to have a better product.

Dont Anderson have a good warranty, like 20 years?
i use window world on my rentals ,they are the hard vinyle . a 2 pane is 189.00 installed,,30.00 more for tinted glass.they have the 3 pane for a little more. after having some in for 10 years im happy with them. i would think the aluminum clad would hold up well , i had some in my old house and the frames were still good after 40 years but drafty around them.. but also ive seen the 500.00 windows at home depot give out in 5 years so i use window world now.some vinyle windows are the soft type,i reccomend the hard type vinyle.lucas

In 1995 when we were building we were in a turmoil over which window to pick for our new home.
I happened to do a blinds installation in a 20 year old nursing home which had white,100% aluminum windows. They still looked great and worked. That was the deciding factor for me.
We installed the all aluminum model with the stupid grids between the glass. Easy to clean and they still look great. Neighbors all around me have replaced the name brand wood and even some clad windows due to leaks and rot and decay. If I were building again and could still find them I would make the same choice.
Colbyt