Window film to block sun heat

Page 2 of 2
John61 wrote:

because of uneven heating. It is likely your minivan doesn't have double pane windows.

Some thoughts from my own experiences:
Putting up reflective foil will increase bird strikes tremendously, and some of them will be big. Foil will change the view, but not a lot. Foil is permanent, and you can't put it up and down at will.
I built a 33' x 13.5' steel awning to shade my windows, and it is inadequate. I am going to build some steel/canvas awnings to shade some of the windows I'm currently using foil in, but know I will end up using both.
I made some squares out of that spongy foil material that I use on smaller windows in the laundry room, and some of the rooms. Works great, but doesn't look good. The upside is that it is very easy to put on and take off, and can be used seasonally when the sun shifts.
I made some larger hanging panels out of the same materials they use for shade shutters, but it just hangs on the inside. You can see through it somewhat, and you can put it up and take it down as the day goes on or the season goes on. Doesn't trap dirt and bugs like exterior panels.
As for the reflective foil, I put some on a house once. It's not brain surgery, but it takes a bit to learn how to do it right. With the state of the economy right now, I'd check and see what someone would charge to do it. Plus, they have access to wider rolls and different stuff than you can get at the Borg.
Any way you go, it does make a large difference.
Steve
John61 wrote:

Yep, sun's a bitch!
1. Window film IS available and does a very good job. It should be available at HD in 30-36" widths. Keep looking.
2. Not only is the direct sun a problem, but the reflected heat from adjacent concrete is also. I got some silverized tarps, 9x12 ft, and rigged them up as semi-temporary awnings over our patios which lead to sliding glass doors. By actual measurement, the temperature of the concrete on the patio dropped to 92 compared to the un-shaded walkway of 113 (ambient air temp was 101).
I got the tarps at HF - about $10 each.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:47:29 -0700 (PDT), PatM

An interesting experience.... last winter I applied Storm King Heat Shrink Window Film on the windows. This is the stuff that you tape the plastic around the window frame and use a heat gun to shrink it to a pretty clear, invisible film over the window.
I figured I'd have to take it down during the summer, but surprise !! The shrink wrap actually is keeping the house cooler !! Guess the layer of air is keeping heat out of the house.
There are a lot of windows which I don't use, so I'm keeping the window plastic on year round. the shrink wrap stuff stays almost crystal clear.
Even with screens, flies manage to get into the windows but the plastic stops them.
I had a window with a venetian blind fitted into the casement... just adjusted the blinds the way I wanted and sealed the window off with shrink wrap, over the top of the venetian blind. It's been working really well... can't adjust the blinds, but they were adjusted well to begin with
fwiw
Peter
John61 wrote:

I noticed a good deal of solar gain in the afternoon from one big window in my house. The window has mini-blinds that I pretty much never open anyway, so for the heck of it I just taped a mylar "space blanket" over the window. The afternoon temp near the window dropped dramatically, reducing the overall A/C load, and with the mini-blinds closed anyway, you can't see the space blanket from the outside. There is another window in the room that doesn't get blasted by the sun so the room still gets plenty of natural light.

Google "In'flector"
Perry Jamal had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Window-film-to-block-sun-heat-386652-.htm : you can visit the following website to find additional info on frosted window film <a href="http://www.frosted-window-film.com/frosted-window-film-ways-spice-dining-room.html ">frosted window film</a>