Wind mill

Page 1 of 3
Why would the town care how close a wind mill is to a stream? Do they leak grease or something?
--
LSMFT

On 2/4/2011 10:13 AM, LSMFT wrote:

The whirling blades scare the fish, frogs and salamanders.
TDD

LMAO! good one.
--
Steve Barker

Maybe they're afraid you're stealing water.
nb

stream floods... undermines foundation of windmill windmill falls over...
???
Mark

Maybe they fear birds the windmill kills will pollute the stream

They might care how close any building is to the stream. Wetlands conservation and all that.
LSMFT wrote:

They leak sound , lots of it, like screach/wap,screatch/wap repeated all day and night long.

Don't agree with that at all. Our county has hundreds of wind tower generators and none are within a thousand feet (or some large number) of a house. Even close up the sound level is very low. By my estimate the sound level is about 2% of the racket from a high school kid's car radio. It's a good idea to know what the facts are before making a statement.
Joe
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 15:24:44 -0800, Joe wrote:

those are wind turbines, not windmills...

(One of the) First uses of windmills was to pump water from a lake into a canal. This was before steam power.
So the first question to ask is what is the purpose of the windmill? If the gadget is for generating power from wind, maybe they want to just keep it away from unrelated places, keep the stream area more pristine.
--
Best regards
Han

They may kill birds, like the giant wind turbines, which have a bad rap in that regard. I stayed at a salmon camp in Alaska some years ago, where the group leader took us on a tour of the local wind farm, and told us they pick up dead birds all the time.
HB

But unlike wind farms, they generate no energy. In fact, they expend only the minimum required to drag themselves to the food dish and back to bed.
HB
On 2/4/2011 1:00 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Yeah, it's not like there's not another one where that one came from. Now if we could get the windmills to whack a few hundred thousand deer also.
--
Steve Barker

The most lethal man-made bird killer, on the order of 20,000 birds/year: pane of glass.
Ban Windows!!!
On 2/5/2011 2:30 AM, Fake ID wrote:

Agreed, but unless you live in a reflective glass skyscraper (which apparently are close to invisible to birds under some conditions), residential window strikes usually only kill common back yard birds. (Even with the big raptor stickers on the sliding doors, I have to sweep up 3-4 a year.) The giant windmills kill the high-flying big impressive birds that have good PACs.
Windmills not an issue here- not enough consistent wind to make them cost-effective at current energy prices. Over by the big lake, they have been pondering a small wind farm for several years, with usual NIMBY issues. I'd be more worried about noise issues than ruined views, but I do understand why people get upset when they paid a bazillion dollars for the view. Maybe if somebody invented a system that could produce significant power without being hundreds of feet up, and a cheap reliable storage system to go with it, people could have their own small ones.
Aren't we supposed to be able to buy a B&D Mr. Fusion down at the big-box by now? :^/
--
aem sends...

On 2/5/2011 8:11 AM, aemeijers wrote:

Several years ago there was an article in St. Pete Times about survey done re: radio towers and bird kills. Survey was by U. of Fla., I believe. Not many towers were included in the study, but the dead-bird count was in the thousands per year for each tower. 35,000 at the worst? I'm not a fan of windmills :o) They will have their own impact, but, then, it's better than freezing.
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 08:27:35 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

It's an even worse idea than solar. What will we do in the winter at night and when there is no wind?

With all due respect, IMO you're nuts. Windmills as power generators do have their place. But they should be were there is relatively continuous wind, and where they can easily "ship off" their generated power. That means in flat plains, atop hills or mountains and offshore, near existing or easily built transmission lines. Or they may be atop skyscrapers (perhaps, we don't have a heliport atop the PANAM building in NYC anymore, not only because it was renamed, but because the helos had accidents.
IOW, be reasonable where and when to build those wind power generators.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

But, even in those areas (this is the High Plains here, one of the highest wind areas in the US) and the Gray County wind farm has produced at only 40% of installed capacity over the 8 years since installation based on EIA production data. The highest monthly production in those 8 years has barely exceeded 50% and the average during Feb and Aug is in the mid-20% range as the wind doesn't blow as much even here during those changing-seasons periods.
So, that means that on average there has to be 2.5X times the installed capacity to meet a given load demand and that there also has to be spinning reserve to make up for the shortfall when the wind doesn't blow to maintain a high reliability for the overall grid. Both of those are expensive propositions as well as it is still double the cost/MWe on the grid for the wind power as compared to conventional generation.
It simply isn't a panacea some would wish it to be nor will it ever become so...