Will we ever see 'universal' cordless batteries.

Page 1 of 2

We have De-Walt, Mastercraft, Bosch and Craftsman batteries; all different. Most of the batteries or the associated chargers are 'shot'! And are incompatible with each other.
Just wondering if we will ever see a 'standard' range of (rechargeable) cordless tool batteries; along same lines as ............... 'D', 'C', 'AA' ...... etc.?
And just looking at a Ryobi catalog ............... advertising that their battery powers 40 different tools! Bet that's a different battery pack again!
BTW, last night, fiddling around with a DC supply to power some older 12 volt cordless drill found that they work fine on anything from 10 to 18 volts. (With adequate amperage of course). It's always the batteries (or occasionally the chargers) that are gone; the drills are fine. **
Haven't measured yet; but hypothesizing: If a 12 volt drill takes say 8 amps (96 watts) at full load before stalling that means that a (good) 12 volt 3.5 ampere hour pack might last 20 mins. to half an hour? That makes sense?
** Maybe battery packs are one of those self-defeating schemes like 'too small' printer cartridges or 'sub standard tires' as original equipment on new cars? Deliberate and planned obsolescence?
Anyway we are planning using two substantial UPS supplies for our several computers; using old truck batteries. That means we will have 12 and 24 volts in significant amounts of current for occasional use, adjacent to main work bench! So our battery packs may end up with disconnected cells and DC plug in cords ready to go at a moments notice. Kinda gets away from the idea of cordless tools but saves our few good De-Walts etc. for which we have several up to date battery packs, for outdoor and portable work!
Any suggestions or better ideas welcomed.

There is standarization inside the packs. They all use the same type of cell.
Selling batteries is a source of income. It makes a lot of sense for something like the Ryobi setup where one battery can power many tools in the brand, but you'll never see interchange amongst brands as long as they make a profit on batteries. Once you have a couple of tools in the brand you'll likely stick with them for convenience also.
OTOH, places like www.primecell.com solve the replacement problem by rebuilding the old packs for you.

Yes; gather expensively and have myself rebuilt a battery pack using 'good' cells from another pack!
Also OTOH I have a an old AC hand drill bought at a K mart for around $8 on sale some 40+ years ago. And a large 230 volt drill bought in 1953 still going strong!
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, what a lot of folks probably don't realize is that a lot of manufacturers make nothing on the original sale and depend on the sale of accessories/spares/replacement parts to make a buck.

George wrote:

I doubt it.

It's a VERY common business model.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Dunno about tools, but that's why inkjet printers are so cheap. It's also why some companies (Epson) make is damn near impossible to use anything other than their own proprietary (chipped and coded) ink cartridges.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

For inkjet printers, this is likely true. For battery drills, I doubt it.
Maybe why I've never bought an inkjet printer. Waaaaayyyy too expensive.
with my Epson printer, the aftermarket cartridges just don't have the print quality. I'm going back to the expensive Epson ones. They cost more, but a year from now the 10 cents a sheet won't hurt as much. But the quality will still be there.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 10:36:14 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My Milwaukee batteries have a built-in charge indicator. Some batteries are reversable (old porter cable and milwaukee come to mind) to change the balance of the drill. I found that a nice feature when I was borrowing them. Also the quality of the batteries varies considerably from one manufacturer to another. Battery design can make or break the quality of a tool. Universal batteries would eliminate innovation of design.

Actually, it is the charging circuitry that varies considerably.
I doubt it. Same deal with cell phones. About a zillion different type of batteries. Compare that to FRS walkie talkies which take AA or AAA cells. Cameras can be bad, with AA, CR2, CR123, and so on. I'd like to see some standardizing on cordless tools. I doubt I'll ever see it.
Years ago, I found a Sears cordless 12 volt drill on the trash pile. Brought it home, and as expected the batteries aren't any good. I kept it for a couple years, and planned to wire it to zipcord and a lighter plug. I could then run it off a vehicle battery jumper pack. I never quite got that project done. But, I do have a couple 12 volt Harbor Freight drills for when the batteries die.
The newer NiMH cells in AA size have good storage capacity. Some up to 2600 mA hours. I'd like to see cordless tools on AA cells. Most of them run on sub C, with 1600 mA hours. But, alas, I'll probably either never see one, or have to build my own.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

When I last moved, I couldn't find the charger for my (very good) Milwaukee 12v drill. I ended up buying a black and decker 12v on sale for about $15 at WalMart and used jumper wires from it's charger to charge the Milwaukee batteries. The B&D was actually useful at times for simple things, so when lowes put their "Firestorm" branded version of the same batteries on closeout I bought 2 @ under $10 a piece. I'm going to open up one and put the individual batteries into a Milwaukee battery case.
Yes! It will happen on the same day that we see universal ink cartridges for computer printers.
Which will be a couple weeks after the Second Coming of the Undecieded for atheists and agnostics?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
terry wrote:

How about a battery operated battery charger?
primecell does a excellent job at rebuilding packs the cells are often better capacity than the ones that originally came in the pack.
connections are welded on, now go price new high capacity cells with attached leads.
primecell is very affordable
Van Chocstraw wrote:

I have two. One plugs into the lighter socket or any 12VDC source and recharges NiMH AA and AAA batteries and the other uses a lighter socket or any 12VDC source and recharges AA, AAA, C, D and 9volt Nicad cells.
TDD

It's just like them damned printers. They next to give the things away, but they ream you on the ink.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

The cell phone companies sure have taken his advice to heart, as have the printer companies.
-- aem sends...