why pilot lights in WH?

Why is it that gas water heaters still have pilot lights, but ovens and furnaces do not?

The only thing I can think of is: ovens and furnaces have electric hook ups anyhow, so it would be another hook up + another standard to comply to.
Heathcliff wrote:

my water heater has no pilot light. Yes, it's a natural gas unit.

How does it light up, does it have an electrical connection?

Yes, a glow bar. (orwhatevertheyarecalled). it's a powervent. plugs into 120v. anyway.

This question comes up from time to time. Usual consensus is as follows: On a range or furnace, the pilot would be dumping its heat into the house when you might not want it to, wastefully. But the heat from the WH pilot goes into the water, which you want to be hot anyhow, and so just lets the main burner run a little less.
Chip C Toronto
On 12/12/2009 9:30 PM, Heathcliff wrote:

Why wouldn't you have a pilot light? It helps keep the water hot. And it allows the WH to work when the electricity goes out.
Bob
Heathcliff wrote:

Our water heater does not have pilot. It has Piezo ignition.

How is the piezo ignition activated? Piezoelectric crystals need to be compressed in order to generate a spark.
The W/H's I've seen with piezo buttons........the piezo buttons are for lighting the gas pilot.
cheers Bob
WH designed by Fred Grimble, of Penston, MO. The stoves and ovens were desigend by Sam Turkle, of Salbach, GA. They had different ideas how to accomplish the same thing. And some usenet posters make up answers without any factual basis.
More seriously, I'd guess because WH typically don't have electric hook up. They might, in the future. As new houses are constructed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Most new houses here in NJ that I've seen use direct vented, high efficiency water heaters that do not have pilots. Also, judging from the number of discussions here about replacing water heaters, they seem to already be quite common.
Heathcliff wrote:

I dunno, but I'm thankful for them every time the power goes out and I still have hot water to take a shower. Doubly so since it's darn near impossible for me to shave without a steaming hot shower first to soften everything up.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel