Why I shop at Ace Hardware

Page 4 of 5
On 2/22/2009 5:03 AM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spake thus:

Amen to that. I have never set foot in a Walmart and never intend to.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
benick wrote:

It ain't "throwing money away" if I leave feeling friendly rather than homicidal and I actually got what I came for.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I live in a small town of about 20,000. They only hire the prettiest girls from 18-24. The asst. manager looks like an ex beauty queen, big hair, boob job, and all. More like a dancer. But I digress.
A trip to Ace goes something like this for this sixty year old. I go in. I immediately look to see where Dave and Bob are so that can avoid them and get waited on by one of the bouncy bubbly (but very knowledgeable) young ladies. WE usually have to search a while, all the time, I'm teaching them about what it is I'm looking for, mainly so next time they will know, and can help others in the future. I Well, not mainly, but I digress. I always ask to see things on lower shelves and where they have to bend over. The whole trip could be done faster if I'd just go get what I want, or get Dave or Bob, as they know every little hiding place there. But when I leave, I definitely leave with a better attitude, my parts, and a little ego massage. The girls now even call me by name.
I have no idea where they find so many really cute chicks in that small town and why they don't have many males in the same job. My best trips are when big hair waits on me. She's at least six feet tall, and thirtyish. Hubba hubba. She's hot!
Steve

If you go to our local Wal Mart you will soon realize that is a local situation and not corporate policy. Most of the ladies on the registers look like my grandmother and I'm 63.
wrote in message

Pretty short explanation of why I prefer Ace over Walmart.
SteveB wrote:

Jeez- and I thought my social life was pathetic....
-- aem sends...

And, THEN you woke up!

No, but I did get waited on by her one time. I said, "I had a dream about you last night, and I just wanted to say, thank you." She blushed, and helped me find whatever I was looking for.
Steve

Nominate her for_ Employee of the Day_.
Is she the *farmer's daughter*?
clipped

Don't know how many times I heard that one when I was a student nurse. It's a real PIA trying to take pulses on night shift - rarely find both hands free :o)
She blushed, and

SteveB wrote:

I LOVE that line!

sounds more like an old mans wet dream than reality...Did you have to clean up afterwards???? LOL....
On 2/21/2009 6:03 AM Van Chocstraw spake thus:

I think you missed the whole point of my post: if I had gone into Home Despot for this part, even if they had it, it's not likely I would have even *known* that you could buy the less-than-$3 replacement valve rather than the whole fill valve, so Ace saved me money.
Home Despot is often cheaper, but not always. I do buy stuff there (lumber, drywall, joint compound, etc.) that is cheaper than a real lumberyard and easier to just grab and go.
But getting help? Fuggedaboudit. Heard something funny the other day: was at my favorite electrical supply place (Ace Liquidators in Alameda, huuuuge warehouse full of all kinds of stuff, cheap), and the guy checking me out said he goes to Home Depot on weekends himself because they're open. He said he recently was totally shocked when someone who works there actually came up to him and asked him if he needed help!
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well i guess if you don't know what you are doing it's worth it to have a store tutor.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

Do those of us here who don't know everything bore you?
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Some of us could only hope to know everything. No convenient Ace here but I do appreciate the knowledgeable folks at the real supply house. I might walk in requesting something and they might ask what I am doing and suggest a better/newer method or suggest a much less expensive renewal kit that I didn't even know existed.
clipped

...and those of us who learn by doing have a great place to start.
On 2/22/2009 6:14 AM Van Chocstraw spake thus:

So in the case of my purchase of the replacement toilet fill valve, are you saying that *you* would never have needed to have asked about it, that you have perfect knowledge of all such things that are stocked in the store?
I don't, and besides, I'm not a plumber.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Some people are know-it-alls and some people can figure things out and teach themselves.
--
Van Chocstraw