Why don't US bathrooms have floor drains?

Page 1 of 3
I have lived both in Australia and in Taiwan. In both countries, bathroom floors had drains to avoid serious flooding in the case of overflows. The bathroom floor drain in Australia even dealt with the problem of blockage of the regular drains/sewers: the floor drain went straight out through the wall above the ceiling of the lower story and had an angled flap to prevent drafts but allowed the water to escape.
Why have I never encountered such in US bathrooms?
Perce

That's an interesting question. I had a sewer stack freeze years ago, and when the toilet overflowed, it caused $8,000 in damage to the kitchen below!
Mitch@_._ wrote:

My mother's toilet at her house stuck, the sewer line was partially clogged outside. The floor wound up flooded and I don't know what it cost the insurance company. I drilled a bunch of small holes in the top of the cleanout cap so if it happens again it the water will flow out onto the ground instead of on the floor. I did this years ago on my rent houses. Much better to have the waste outside on the ground than on the floor. Broken water lines, clogged pipes, overflows are a matter of when not if.

But if the sewer stack froze, would not have the drain on the floor be blocked too?

Not if it's directed out through the wall, bypassing the stack, like the OP said.

Americans do plumbing to a much higher standard, making such things unnecessary
On 06/21/08 04:23 pm RBM wrote:

I think the authors of the two preceding responses (and perhaps their insurance companies too) would disagree with you.
Perce

I'll agree with him, we do have higher standards. lou
Lou wrote:

Ditto!

Now that is a laugh!
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

We have better toilets than most of Europe. We also don't have to squat over a hole in the floor in public restrooms as I've seen in other parts of the world. I've been to places that gave you a ration of toilet tissue when you went in too and that is all you were expected to use.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Your ignorance! Sqatting is anatomically better form for bowl movement. Ever saw an animal sitting down to phoo? Consuming anything less is better for our planet.
wrote in message

Somehow I think it's going to take more than using less tp to solve our problems. Abundant tp should be a God given right.

I find it difficult to squat over a hole in the floor and read the newspaper, thank you.
As for consuming less, that is good, but I want to consume enough paper to properly clean up after a bowl movement.
Since you are enlightened, do you have a toilet or do you just use the drain pipe?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Not all of us have the correct center of gravity, not to mention the ankles and knees, to successfully squat. It is a learned skill, in any case, unless you kept doing it from toddler age when squatting like a monkey was a natural posture. Personally, I can squat for about 10 seconds, then my ankles and knees insist rather forcefully on a change in posture. Very seldom would that be enough time to take care of business. In the modern world, waiting until you HAVE to go is seldom an option- you go when you have time and/or available facilities. (One of Lydon Johnson's few memorable quotes- 'Never pass up a chance to go to the bathroom')
If you actually care about this, I can recommend a text- 'The Bathroom', by Alexander Kira.
-- aem sends...
On Sun 22 Jun 2008 07:13:22a, Tony Hwang told us...

We used to have a cat that was toilet trained. She would sit on the edge of the toilet seat to do her business. We tried to teach her to flush, and occasionally she would do it.
--
Wayne Boatwright

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obsessive-compulsive-cat-fascinated-with-flushing-toilet

I'm sorry to learn of your bowel problems.

Ever see a human $#!t standing up? Go ahead and $#!t like a dog in a park - but not in my parks

Save on toilet paper. Wipe you @$$ with your hand.
What a marroon!
Dick
Have you see the Swiss/Japanese self-cleansing bowls, aka automatic bidet?
Soon, they may be required under ADA disability statutes!
A thing comes up and sprays your arse with water.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Remorse begets zeal] [Windows is for Bimbos]
Quote: nobody wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 14:49 ----------------------------------------------------

It's probably a risk management issue. You could of course add the extra plumbing for such a drain but that is added cost and would only get used in the emergency situation. Plus it is not so aesthetically pleasing to have a drain in the middle of your bathroom in many cases. So folks live with the risk and hope for the best! I have seen more drains and catch pans used in laundry rooms and for hot water heaters.
-- Richard Thoms President - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals http://www.TopServicePros.com