Why are radiators made of cast iron

It shouldn't be a problem unless you change the thermostat a few times daily. And if you do, set the setting on your electronic thermostat to change the high/low settings an hour ahead, or more or less to suit your conditions.

If your schedule is erratic, yes, stick to light weight copper/aluminum.

Reply to
Tony

Yes, heating systems with radiators normally run at higher temps then convectors. Besides, Google is your friend. Do a search for "baseboard convectors".

Here is some more for you!

"A: Mark Eatherton, a plumbing and heating contractor in Denver, Colorado, replies: Radiators and baseboard convectors both depend on hot water as their heat source. The similarity stops there. As their name implies, radiators deliver heat in the form of radiant energy. In other words, the energy from a radiator travels through the air without heating the air until it strikes a solid object. The object is warmed, which in turn warms the surrounding air. A radiator?s primary function is affecting the mean radiant temperature, or the average surface temperature of the surfaces surrounding your body.

Older style upright cast-iron radiators are usually massive things, with most weighing a couple of hundred pounds. By their nature, they tend to radiate energy long after the heat has been shut off. In some cases, they can cause the room temperature to overshoot by a few degrees, but their overall comfort is superior to that of their cousins, the baseboard convectors. Radiators have some convective output, but it is minimal compared with their overall output potential."

Reply to
Tony

Instead of beating around the bush, steam under pressure is much hotter than water in a hydronic system.

Reply to
Tony

Were you a fellow sufferer of the slings and arrows of the crazy women?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In my very first message I said STEAM radiators. I never said HOT WATER radiators, but somehow you seem to have missed that. "I was brought up in homes with STEAM radiators in NYC". Then, in my response to you. where you somehow read STEAM as HOT WATER, I said "STEAM" was the main heating source for many homes and buildings". Yet you still contend that I am talking about HOT WATER. Do you deny that a STEAM radiator, which you have obviously have never seen or heard of, can get much hotter than a HOT WATER radiator?

turn to try to save face again, Go.

Reply to
willshak

I missed nothing, though it's apparent that you can't read. ...and you're wrong.

Reply to
krw

You have to do that anyway, with hydronic heating. However, it still matters if you decide that it's too cold and ask for more heat. For homes, cast iron has no advantages, some disadvantages (some major, some minor), and is more expensive than copper/aluminum. It's got nothing going for it outside of hype.

When we had a hydronic system (we have heat pumps now), we'd set the thermostat to 59F at night, 64F during the mornings and late afternoons, and

62F during the day. If we were cold, simply crank the thermostat a few degrees. The cycle would then restart itself. Eratic, yes. Programmed, sure. Did I ever want cast iron? Hell no.
Reply to
krw

Do you believe every sloppily worded article on the Internet? The fact is that for a "radiator" to work the temperature difference would have to be

*far* more than 100F. Think of an infrared heater. A boiler isn't going to do it. Convection is a *large* percentage of the heat transfer. Radiation is miniscule.

No they *CONVECT* heat long after they're shut off.

More sloppy wording to go with the sloppy thought.

Reply to
krw

Most steam systems are not under (significant) pressure; certainly not domestic steam systems.

Reply to
krw

Yes, I've been Nunned (crying like a baby). Funny, just the other day my sister was telling about the time she asked her teacher/nun if she could be an alter girl. The nun told her that she has way too many sins to stand up there, that she would desecrate the holiness of the church. And that's putting it mildly, in her words it sounded a hundred times worse.

Reply to
Tony

My first grade teacher was Sister Godzilla, an American nun. In the second grade the whole teaching staff was replaced with Irish nuns who believe in capital punishment for small children for things like talking in the restroom. There was Sister Torture, Sister Autopsy, Sister Defenestration, Sister Vivisection, Mother Mothra and Father Bigfoot. Because I had nuns as teachers when I was a small boy, I have absolutely no fear of terrorists. I do have an inexplicable fear of albino Penguins.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No, I didn't miss that. You apparently missed the fact that the whole thread was about cast iron radiators, though, not "steam radiators". [Hint: check the title of the thread.]

I never contended that you're talking about hot water. Quite the contrary, in fact, as you appear to have been completely ignorant of the existence of hot water systems -- you stated that cast iron radiators are dangerously hot. That's not true. Radiators _in steam systems_ are dangerously hot, regardless of what they're made of. Cast iron radiators _in hot water systems_ are *not* dangerously hot.

Of course it can. Do you deny that a cast iron radiator in a hot water system is nowhere nearly as hot as a cast iron radiator in a steam system? And can you figure out that the dangerous temperatures are the result of the use of _steam_, not the material that the radiator is made from?

Sheesh.

Reply to
Doug Miller

OK sure, cast iron is all hype like you say. There is no comfort gained when using a heating system with a lot more mass. Just like there is no comfort gained with hot water baseboard vs hot air. The copper, aluminum, and mostly the hot water left inside convectors doesn't have any more mass then hot air. Yes you are correct, no one likes hot water baseboard more than hot air. Just because it has more mass than hot air doesn't make it any better. You are right.

Reply to
Tony

Yes, you are right and all the internet info is wrong. You are so much smarter than most of the world. You are incredible. Companies call their product "convectors" but you are so smart, you know they really aren't convectors, and all the silly people in the world call, and have called for 100 years, those heavy cast iron things that radiate heat "radiators" but you, you are so damn smart that you know more than the rest of the world. You know the cast iron things are really convectors. Damn, the whole world had it wrong all this time. Thank Gawd you came to teach us the truth!

Reply to
Tony

Oh thank Gawd it's you to save us again! I thought steam, at just a couple pounds of presure will get hotter than the boiling point of water, you know, 212F+. And you know that hydronic systems have water in them that seldom goes above 160F, and somehow your mind tells you that 160F is just as dangerous as 212F+. How do you do it? You are todays Einstein!

Reply to
Tony

No. Mass means nothing. All it does is take longer to warm up.

There is a difference, though not all will agree on which is better.

Water doesn't have more thermal mass than air? Ok, if you say so...

Of course..

Reply to
krw

The *words* are used improperly, but what's new?

Smarter than you, obviously. The fact that *you* are in awe is understandable.

Do try to think some time. You might learn something.

Reply to
krw

I see you're illiterate, as well as being stupid as a stump.

Bullshit. Most are set for 180F to 200F. The higher the temperature the higher the efficiency.

Of course you're a liar, too.

With you as a reference, I can see how you would come to that conclusion.

Reply to
krw

wrote

They may be set at 180, but the actual temperature downstream is much less and declines as it goes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

*And* cool off, which means that the temperature changes much more gradually.
Reply to
Doug Miller