Why are radiators made of cast iron

Page 3 of 6

The *words* are used improperly, but what's new?

Smarter than you, obviously. The fact that *you* are in awe is understandable.

Do try to think some time. You might learn something.

Nope, no idea what sarcasm is, he really thinks I think He's smart. LOL!

He does! He really thinks I think He's smart. LOL!
Plonk! Not worth my time.

I think you're illiterate. In fact I *know* it.

Facts, apparently, never are.
The Daring Dufas wrote the following:

The disadvantages are that they are big and ugly and get very hot (don't allow toddlers around them). They have enclosures especially built for them which also helps with the ugly part. Another advantage is you don't need a humidifier, just put a pan of water on top of them. I was brought up in homes with steam radiators in NYC.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

When I was a kid and an inmate at the Catholic Parochial Gulag back in the middle of the last century, the building had radiators with hissing contraptions on the top side that reminded me of the valve on a pressure cooker. If I remember right, there was steam coming out of the thing that could very well have contributed to keeping the humidity up in the building.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

It's called "steam heat".
Tony wrote:

I think the nuns were trying to cook us.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That I don't doubt. On second thought, I don't think they would cook you all the way, because then they couldn't torture you anymore.
Tony wrote:

Were you a fellow sufferer of the slings and arrows of the crazy women?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yes, I've been Nunned (crying like a baby). Funny, just the other day my sister was telling about the time she asked her teacher/nun if she could be an alter girl. The nun told her that she has way too many sins to stand up there, that she would desecrate the holiness of the church. And that's putting it mildly, in her words it sounded a hundred times worse.
Tony wrote:

My first grade teacher was Sister Godzilla, an American nun. In the second grade the whole teaching staff was replaced with Irish nuns who believe in capital punishment for small children for things like talking in the restroom. There was Sister Torture, Sister Autopsy, Sister Defenestration, Sister Vivisection, Mother Mothra and Father Bigfoot. Because I had nuns as teachers when I was a small boy, I have absolutely no fear of terrorists. I do have an inexplicable fear of albino Penguins.
TDD

Horse-puckey. They don't get any hotter than the water that's circulated through them.

Some do. Many don't.

Ahh, that explains your misconceptions. You're apparently unaware that many homes are heated by hot water, not steam.
Doug Miller wrote the following:

I was raised in NYC in the 1940s. Steam was the main heating source for many homes and buildings. You haven't been around long enough to contradict me on what I remember.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

YOU DAMN KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!
TDD

I didn't say you remembered incorrectly -- I said you have misconceptions about radiators. You do. They don't get any hotter than the water that's circulated through them.
Doug Miller wrote the following:

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_steam_system
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Nothing there says that radiators get hotter than what's circulated through them. Do you contend that they can?
Doug Miller wrote: ...

Where on earth did you get such a notion that any other poster had any idea they get hotter than supply?
All he said was that they are hot surfaces and small persons should be kept away -- which is all true (particularly if steam heat as opposed to hot water, the surface temperature may be pretty hot on full flow).
Hot water in a tub isn't any hotter than the water out of the water heater, either, but it can surely scald (particularly young, tender skin).
Typical hot water heat may be in the 180F max range while steam can be around 215F--that's plenty warm enough to say "ouch" even giving a few degrees for radiator surface temperature and distribution drop as opposed to steam outlet temperature .

He said they were extremely hot, or some such -- which is *not* true of most hot-water systems.
Doug Miller wrote:

Well, that isn't saying they're hotter than the water is it?
And, it then depends on the definition of what one means by "extremely" and I'd give the other guy the benefit of the doubt...all one has to do is have a recollection as a little kid at grandma's house and you'll be convinced for life (and you _can_ amhikt).