Who Makes a good Ext. French Door

I'm looking for a manufactuer that makes a good quality (hopefully reasonable cost) french door. (no Pella)

I also need it 60"x80"... not the standard 72" width that is normal.

So far the only manufactuer I have found is Kolbe and Kolbe vinyl...

Any suggestions?

C_kubie

Reply to
c_kubie

I got one at Lowes just like you asked, a steel 5'er for about $400 w/screens. Installed it has been good. Not outstanding but you get what you pay for. Not sure but I think they were dropping the 5'er. Special ordered was about $150 more.

Reply to
MSH

Whats wrong with pella

Reply to
mark Ransley

Do you mean French as in "both doors open" or "on door opens on a hinge" ? (BTW - we call them "Freedom doors" now, or at least "Indefinite military stay going downhill and reversing ourselves and asking the French and Soviets for help at the UN" doors)

I looked around recently. The doors at Lowes were crap, IMHO.

Home Depot carries the Masonite line and Atrium line in a "one opens" type of Freedom door. "Both open" are a special order. Since they don't buy those in bulk, you pay about $200 more for a SO.

The Masonite door they _stock_ is steel, matches the Stanley steel line well. About $500, AFAIR. Nice door, well made for the price. The only reason that I might (personally) avoid it is that it has a "rot resistant" wood frame and I think I need "rot proof" in my app. Masonite also makes a fiberglass with a full vinyl frame... about $200 more since it's special order.

The Atrium folks apparently lost their reputation a few years ago but are attempting a comeback. Their door appears to be very well made and solid. Aluminum clad outer, wood interior. Heavy, well made. Closes solidly, almost to tight a seal. About $800, again, AFAIR.

Be sure to price the hardware, screens, and grills if you need them. Also be aware that screens are an issue with a "both open" arrangement.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Ha!Ha!

actually they are called "swinger" doors that have 1 hinged door (that must be the French way)!

these are the different options French,swinger,sliding

Arin

Reply to
ryan