Whirpool gas dryer - starts but wont stay running

I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer (Model GGW9878LWW) that wont' stay running.
When I press the start button, the tumbler starts spinning, and I can hear the flames ignite (the clothes do get dry too). When I release the start button, everything stops. I need to put duct tape over the button for the clothes to dry.
I can hear a relay engage when I press the button as well. The dryer door switch is working fine. I can make the dryer start/stop by pressing/releasing this.
Is this a common problem with Whirlpool dryers? It's only 5-6 years old.
I would like to see if I can fix this myself, I'm fairly handly with home repairs.
thanks for any help.

Sure sounds like the start switch is the culprit. A new one can't cost much and shouldn't be too hard to install.
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:42:48 -0700 (PDT), cappy2112

Nothing that a $117 circuit board wont fix. It will probably look burnt up in the middle of the board (couple capacitors and resistors) Thank Whirlpool for that one. Bubba
cappy2112 wrote:

The problem is most likely with the centrifugal switch on the motor. Under normal conditions, the centrifugal switch operates when the motor reaches full speed, which is the electrical equivalent of holding the start button down.
Vacuum the dust and lint away from the motor and look for anything that may be obstructing the switch. It's near the point where the wires connect to the motor.
On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:42:48 -0700 (PDT), cappy2112

When my Kenmore did that it was necessary to replace the circuit board.. about $100 for the part.