Whirlpool microwave - not getting power to the cooktop light

Hi there,
I've a Whirlpool Microwave (model MH1150XMQ-1). It is 1.5 years old.
Recently the cooktop light bulb quit working and I simply thought it had burned out and went out and replaced it. The new bulb did nothing. Hmmmm. So I opened up the underside panel to check the socket for any problems. Using my circuit tester I determined that there was no power coming through the wires to the cooktop light socket. I plugged the socket into the wires that go to power the turntable and the socket indeed works fine (of course only when the microwave is engaged). So, I'm not getting any juice through the wires that clip to the cooktop light socket.
I'm not sure how to open the unit up any further to check to see if something is visibly amiss with the board that feeds to the socket.
This unit costs about $150-$170. Is this a problem worth fixing or is it something I can possibly fix on my own? Any input is appreciated.
It is most likely a mechanical part which might be the switch on the door. ___________________________________ Home Improvement Forum http://www.spicyhome.com
i don't know, but see your parts and costs at: http://www.repairclinic.com/0003.asp and lots of encouraging words always at: http://www.fixitnow.com / and if it was up to me i would consider giving the bulb power constantly. i need a nightlight anyway and i enjoyed the old microwave feature where the light stayed on until the food was removed. i can't tell you how much forgotten cooking has been wasted at bedtime since that feature vanished, at least from the models i've been buying.
kmdguy wrote:

Yeah, but my GE microwave has a readout that says "your food is done". That reminds me that there is food in it. However, one day I placed an empty bowl in there which I wanted to dry quickly. I figured the MW would heat the water enough to dry it. It dried fairly well, but when I went to open the door, the readout said "your food is done". I looked and looked, but never found any food. This means my microwave is a liar and a fraud. I am considering turning it into the FBI. In fact, I bet if I placed some cat shit from my litter box in there, it would say "your food is done". Now who in their right mind would eat cooked cat shit? It's a sick world we live in when we cant even trust our own microwave because it lies...... :)