Whirlpool gas dryer, flames out after start

19 year old Whirlpool gas dryer symptoms: Igniter glows and flame lights but extinguishes after several minutes of operation, drum spins indefinitely. Same behavior whether time dry cycle or automatic cycle (i.e. run until dry). If restarted immediately flame typically does not light although ingiter glows for a while then goes off. If left standing a longer period of time flame will light upon restart.
Some NG research points to thermal fuse problem although this fuse is shown in schematic to be in series with door switch so it seems that drum would stop if fuse opened. Any more ideas?
RC
Raymond Cruz wrote:

(around $25-30 for the pair) and all will be well again.

Hi,
No model# posted :(

Nope, no heat then at all or the whole dryer will stop!!
More possible the gas valve is getting sour or the coils on the gas valve are heating up and quiting.
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas_dryer.html Some gas dryer helps.
Thanks to Mad Mac and Jeff for replies. Whirlpool model # is LG7801XMW2. The schematic shows two valves labeled #1 and #2. A "Hold Coil" and an "Asst. Coil" are associated with valve #1 and an unlabeled coil appears to be associated with valve #2. Should all be replaced?
I found an archived thread from 1997 that reached similar conclusions but also mentioned the flame sensor as a possibility. There was a warning not to attempt coil replacement unless "mechanically inclined." My machine has access to tight quarters through a small pop off panel at the lower front. Does this provide enough access or should I further disassemble the machine?
Thanks, RC

Hi,
If they or one is the trouble maker...yup, change them both!!
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N479 Gas valve solenoid coil kit, 2 and 3 wire, new style.

This is a fairly easy job :) Do watch out for a metal sleeve that -sometimes- sticks inside one of the old coils....remove it and install into the new one. Some of the older two piece front panals are enough room to change them, on newer models I remove the whole one piece front panal.
I picked up a package of two coils today at a local appliance repair/parts store for $29.75. Removal and replacement was pretty easy requiring only a very short or offset Phillips screwdriver to get between a couple of bracket screws and the drum. The machine appears to be working normally now. Thanks.
RC