Which programmable thermostat??

Hello,
I live in Georgia and for the main floor of my house have a PAYNE PG8UAA upflow propane gas furnace(in the basement) and for the upstairs I have a heat pump(with eheat setting- all thermostats I looked at a thoome depot said they would NOT work with a heat pump).
I was wondering if any particular programmable thermostat would be best?
I get the impression that Honeywells have a good reputation but I do not understand about this 1 stage or 2 stage furnace thing- not sure which I have? Or should I try to get ones made by the PAYNE company itself?
Thanks for any info
Susan in GA

Well, I like Honeywell, except for the ones that are sold at the box stores. Those don't seem to be very long lived. A VisionPRO thermostat would be a good bet, but they aren't sold ath the box stores.

Payne, owned by Carrier Corp, does not make any thermostats. They are manufactured by another company and the Payne label is put on them.

Susan,
I purchased a Honeywell Program 7-day thermostate Heat Pump....
I believe its a G6800.. It works like a charm.. I would goto honeywell site and look @ which stat you need.
If you have questions contact the manufacture of the furnace and ask
You might need 2 stats one for base ment and one for upstairs depending on you oursetup. Get a local HVAC shop to come out and look @ it for you..