Which brand of Central A/C is best?

Which brand of central A/C is best? Also, should I replace a 10-year- old Carrier? The evaporator coils are dirty, rusted, and freeze into ice. I live in Florida and work at home, this thing is always on. Thanks.

Reply to
dangotmail

It has often been said here, a good installer is more important than the brand. All the major brands are pretty good.

You may just need a good coil cleaning. Lack of air flow will cause coils to freeze. That is much cheaper than a new unit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:21:52 -0400, "Charles" graced this newsgroup with:

yep..we completely replaced our 30+ yo a/c and heating system about 3 years ago.

Even though this new Trane seems to be on more often than it's off, it's very energy efficient. Our heating and cooling bills went down by nearly 25% AND it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter...and more quiet too.

Reply to
Max

I will bet you never serviced it, doesnt ice give you a hint. My 15yr old Lennox which is serviced yearly was recently said to be fine. Now if you have a 10 seer you might run numbers on payback going to something efficient. Get a reputable pro out to go over everything for you.

Reply to
ransley

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:48:58 -0700, ransley graced this newsgroup with:

It *is* 10 seer actually and we service it once a year and there's no ice buildup.

Reply to
Max

Do you like apples or oranges?

One person will tell you Amana, one Carrier, one York, one Trane, and so on and so forth. I will tell you Amana because before I moved and had central air I had a large Amana through the wall unit that functioned without flaw for almost 13 years and still does to my knowledge. The new house had a decent furnace but an old condensing unit. I replaced the outdoor unit 6 years ago with an Amana and it is very quiet, looks and cools great. It's right next to my deck and you hardly know it's running.

Reply to
Meat Plow