Where is the Water Leak? 6,000 Gallons missing

Page 2 of 2

outdoor
up
with
We'll
the
would
the
Thanks! And this is exactly what is my worst fear. I have a pro coming out this week, I will update the group with what the final outcome is.

Bear in mind that turning the valve all the way in the cutoff direction.. doesn't mean the water is cut off.. (like to the toilet) These shuttoff valves get crud in them from not being used and fail to seal when shut off...

this sounds like a tough one. given that the water is far from free, i would take extraordinary measures. i would turn off the hot water first. and check if it was still flowing. and check if the meter still showed flow.
presuming it's cold water i would touch pipes here and there and see what was coldest. i would open the walls in my sink cabinets to check pipes there. and while open i would install all the shutoffs that i could. then i would start shutting down branch lines from the basement up. i would say a little prayer.
i don't know how you USers meter your water. in canada, we have the meter IN THE HOUSE. so if it shows usage there's no doubt it's me. you guys apparently have the meter somewhere outside so you could be leaking into the ground! hard to believe. i don't have any ideas there.
finally, if nothing panned out, i would call a good plumber. ...thehick
Surely you have a valve in your house to turn off your whole house. Do that. If meter shows that flow stopped, the leak in your house.
What is the pipe between the meter and the house made of? When was it installed?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Keep up...this was already done a week ago or so... :)

gallons
meter
the
I had this happen once, only reason we figured it out was that the water heater (gas) never shut off.
You should have a valve at the house that will shut off the whole house. For get about what is inside. Shut it off and if the meter is still turning then the problem is from the meter to the house. Time for some trenching. If the problem goes away then it is inside. Now turn off the valve at the water heater. Hopefully it will hold, if not fix it. If the problem goes away now you know it is a hot water line. your almost there.
Yes, that's it. Divide and conquer.

For
then
Turn off all faucets, appliances, etc. Listen for toilet leak. Use "stethoscope"; big screwdriver pressed to ear on handle end, to toilet body on other end. Observe water meter; assuming the meter is moving, you might want to verify that the meter isn't nuts. It's pretty hard to imagine how a meter could move, in the absence of water current, but you can listen to the meter. Use a broom handle that has no broomhead on it. Push one end of handle against meter, and the other end against your ear. You should hear a click, click, click. Some people can hear the water meter beating, while they sit in their houses, when their sprinklers are running. You might also try this stethoscope method at various locations on the premises, by pressing against pipes. You might thus "vector" your way to the proximity of the leak. Commercial leak detection is available for fresh water (pressure) plumbing. It senses sound. Appropriate for tiny leaks. Do you guys flush the toilet a lot? Take long showers? Use clothes washer a lot?

the
One way to see if you have water leaking is to take a stethoscope and listen to the main water line. You can try and compare with the water on and off. Most likely the break is with the line coming in the house, not after its in your house. You most likely see water problems or moisture problems with an extra 6,000 gallons.
If you dont ahve one of those, just grab the pipe and listen closely. This is not a loose toilet flap. Check the main water as it goes into the ground or into the wall. Is it copper or is it black or grey. In the cases of a broken water main you can get someone to insert a copper pipe into the plastic tube and you will be good forever.

I had this problem in my last house. The water bill went from $80 to $350 (roughly). When I called I was told that they noticed the difference and reread the meter. Yeah, thanks for the phone call / post card I never received. In any event, all I did was shut off the main to the house and noticed the meter still turning. So as another poster said....It's time to trench and replace the line from the meter to the house. By the way this also happened to me in winter during a cold snap. I suspect that finished off a 55 year old pipe pretty well......Good Luck, Ross
EggRaid wrote:

I suspect a fire in the squirrel's underground nut-mines.
The boogers often tap into homeowner's water mains to provide emergency fire suppression.
I know this sounds wacky, but what else could it be?
Squirrels live in trees; that's where the nuts are. Maybe OP's water main runs up into squirrel's tree. Other than this flaw, I like your reasoning. You should be in the profession.

fire