Where is a "safe place" to dispose of 14 oz. propane tanks?

Page 3 of 3

re: Bottom line, is that personal use tanks are not subject to the laws of commercially transported cargo.
I quote from my 16.4 oz Ozark Trail propane container:
5. Never refill this cylinder. Refilling may cause explosion. Federal law prohibits transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment. (49 U.S.C 5124)
The cylinder is marked as DOT-39. This website reiterates the transportation statement noted above:
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/49CFR/Docs/wcd0000a/wcd00aee.asp
I couldn't find anything that denoted a difference between personal vs. commercial transport. If you could cite a reference I'd appreciate it, since there may come a time when I would like to transport a refilled container.

re: Bottom line, is that personal use tanks are not subject to the laws of commercially transported cargo.
I quote from my 16.4 oz Ozark Trail propane container:
5. Never refill this cylinder. Refilling may cause explosion. Federal law prohibits transportation if refilled - penalty up to $500,000 and 5 years imprisonment. (49 U.S.C 5124)
The cylinder is marked as DOT-39. This website reiterates the transportation statement noted above:
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/49CFR/Docs/wcd0000a/wcd00aee.asp
I couldn't find anything that denoted a difference between personal vs. commercial transport. If you could cite a reference I'd appreciate it, since there may come a time when I would like to transport a refilled container.
I said it, therefore, it must be true. Is there a refilled canister police agency in your locale that does roadbocks, inspections, or other police work regarding these little canisters? Can you cite ANY case in which ANYONE has been cited or arrested or prosecuted?
I thought so.
Steve

re: I said it, therefore, it must be true.
No one said it wasn't. I simply asked for a reference.
BTW since "not subject to" and "not enforced" are two very different things, I'm not sure how the lack of prosecuted cases enters into this discussion. I'm sure we can all cite instances of illegal activties that are not prosecuted. Heck, I've been to a concert or two in my day and we were all subject to certain laws that were broken but not prosecuted. (But I never inhaled!)
All I'm looking for is something official that says it's legal for me to transport a refilled 16.4 oz DOT-39 propane tank if it's for personal use. It wasn't a personal attack.

re: I said it, therefore, it must be true.
No one said it wasn't. I simply asked for a reference.
BTW since "not subject to" and "not enforced" are two very different things, I'm not sure how the lack of prosecuted cases enters into this discussion. I'm sure we can all cite instances of illegal activties that are not prosecuted. Heck, I've been to a concert or two in my day and we were all subject to certain laws that were broken but not prosecuted. (But I never inhaled!)

I didn't take it personal. Just looking at it realistically, and from the viewpoint of having been there, done that. If they were truly illegal to be refilled, they would outlaw the refilling devices available at most Walmarts and everywhere.
Bottom line is people will do what they want, law or no. Be careful, the sky is falling out there. It's a jungle. It always is and was, but your own personal life is all perception as to whether you live it or hide in a closet.
Steve

re: If they were truly illegal to be refilled, they would outlaw the refilling devices available at most Walmarts and everywhere.
Ah, but AFAIK it is not illegal to refill them, so there is no need to outlaw the device. It's only illegal to transport them after they have been refilled - but as we both agree, that is not something that is actively enforced.
I can imagine, albeit remotely, that if damage or injury were caused by a refilled tank while being transported *and* it could be proved that the tank was refilled *and* it could be proved that the person doing the transporting knew that it had been refilled, then the person doing the transporting could be found liable. The chances of that happening are slim to none.
Remember - refilling devices don't kill people, people kill people.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 08:37:04 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

When refilling devices are outlawed, only outlaws will have refilling devices.

A little known fact about the Second Amendment - orginally it was penned as follows but then altered just prior to publication:
A well regulated grill being necessary to the enjoyment of a cheaper vacation, the right of the people to keep and bear refilling devices shall not be infringed.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:05:18 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Thanks. Now I understand that exhibit at the National Archives.

Had one, but the problem is that those tanks are built to be disposable. The gaskets and seals on them are not very good, and you can't refill them very many times before they leak.
You're driving down the freeway on a camping trip. What's that smell? It smell like propane................
Steve