Where can I get parts for 12V battery charger

Page 1 of 2
I have 3 automotive 12v battery chargers that need parts. One needs diodes, another needs that protection device that cuts out when the leads short, and comes back on in a minute or so (are those called circuit breakers or????). I am not sure what the 3rd one needs, but probably diodes. (Have not opened that one). I hate tossing something that needs a simple repair, but where can I get parts? I tried google but as usual all I got were fu#^%&g links to ebay, and spam sites.
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

McMaster-Carr and DigiKey are two potential vendors that come to mind. Also Grainger, but they won't sell to you unless your employer has an account (even if you pay with your own credit card.)
good luck
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Start with Radio Shack and places line http://www.allelectronics.com / http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=home http://www.alliedelec.com / http://www.jameco.com http://www.alltronics.com /
You have to learn to use Google. That is where the above links came from and none are spam sites of ebay. I got 76,000,000 hits but I did not check them all out.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I have had no luck finding anything useful at Radio Shack in the past few years. The local store employees for the most part give you blank looks when you look for basic stuff like resistors and diodes. (have needed same on short notice before for work.) Anymore I go to a local place called Arcade Electronics first, but that probably doesn't help the OP.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

some non mall radio shack stores have more parts, although radio shack has became a toy store.
few people want to fix things today, the vast majority just want a new one

DITTO!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
.
.

"Jim Yanik" < snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov> wrote in message
My business is repairing roll laminating machines, and buy parts where I can to save BIG BUCKS.
GBC has a board thats near a 100 bucks where a 10 dollar transistor fails. So I buy and swap that transistor to save money, its as good as a new board and saves near 90 bucks:)

if it's the same transistor that fails,you might try putting in a sturdier part,with higher ratings/better heatsinking.
Of course,that kills your repeat business....OOPS. ;-(
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Nate Nagel wrote:

Most of the Radioshack stores around here closed last year but that didn't matter because they had very little stock and as you said no one knew what you were talking about.
We used to have two great industrial supply houses in the area but they are gone because there is no industry here anymore.
For the moment scavange parts from unit 1 to put in unit 2. At least you'll have one working unit until you can find the parts

Good one.

Unless you enjoy fixing things and some time spending some money uselessly I suggest to use nearest garbage can Tony

Back when I was much younger I would have tried to trace an electronic circuit board and replace components. These days I dont even touch them, and just replace them. But battery chargers are such simple things that anyone with some electronics experience can repair them. Besides the housing, there are only 5 parts. The transformer, the diodes, the "circuit breaker", the gauge, and some wiring (including the external plug in and batt. cables/clamps). Also, some have a switch to go from 6v to 12v. or low amp to hi amp. It takes me 5 minutes to determine the problem which is usually the diodes, but in this one it's the "breaker". It takes another 5 to 20 minutes to repair the thing. They're not complicated or hard to work on. The problem is getting the parts.........
For those that said Radio Shack, they dont carry any diodes larger than 1A, if they carry them at all these days. I rarely go to R.S. at all anymore. All they carry is toys, and overpriced cellphones and tvs. Their parts are limited to a few switches, solder, coax connectors, phone cords, and a few grab bags of unidentified semiconductors that (from experience) are often defective.
I should note that I DID repair a high powered batt charger using diodes made for a auto alternator. Those diodes are way over the rating of the charger, even for that 50A charger (which was an expensive charger). The problem is that those diodes are also hard to get, and most (if not all) are pressure fit and thus have no mounting screws. I had to use the heatsink from the scrap alternator and mount it into the charger while providing isolation from the metal case. I did fix that one, and spent much more than an hour doing it, but for a costly charger it was worth it.

Member of the 'throw-away' society; eh Tony? Have to agree that if/when one has to pay North American labour rates it is often not economic to 'pay' for something to be fixed! Also to 'pay' for something to be fixed usually means driving somewhere or having someone come and pick it up, repair it and return it (or pick it up yourself). With the consequent use of gasoline etc. However anyone willing to reuse/recycle should be commended. My quick, back of the envelope, calculations seem to indicate that any significant project I can tackle personally can often be completed for one third the cost if one does it oneself, especially if one has mostly used materials on hand or saved up for it. Repairing an item such as a battery charge from a few extra bits on hand or purchased could possibly be done for just a few dollars. I too have couple of such chargers and another to scrap for parts. A few years ago rebuilt one of those 'heavy' chargers that can give enough current to start a vehicle or recharge a battery in 20 minutes. It had been thrown out by a local auto repair outfit who said "take it". Some $40 later and with the addition of a missing handle replaced with one from a scrapped 'weed eater' it is good as a new $250-$300 one! I congratulate the OP for thinking about refurbishing, reuse, repair or recycle whatever you want to call it. We should all be thinking that way.

If everyone saved and re-used broken things and scavenged them from others, what would happen to our economy? And where would I get all the great stuff that makes my life cheap, easy, and interesting?
Bob

For starters, personal debt would go down.

It was common practice until somewhere in the 1980's for people to repair things. This disposible society is actually something new. The economy in the 50s thru the 80's was no worse than it is now, and selling parts was a business in itself. What we do now is fill dumps with tons of junk, and deplete our resources, while buying inferior products. I know that when I was a kid, my parents fixed everything they could, and in all honesty, life was much better then, and people in many ways had more money left over at the end of the week or month. Of course back then, people did not live to own the latest fads. I still have a TV that I bought around 1970, and it still works great. But now we are all faced with, and being forced into HiDef tv (which I could care less about). That's a large part of the problem, we are forced by greedy corporations to keep buying stuff. When MS comes out with a new OS, they force out many of the older computers, and now they are doing the same with our tvs, and who knows what else. I still use Win98 and have no intention to upgrade, and I dont even like the picture on a HDTV.
Ya, I am getting off track here, but I have a valid rant. The older I get, the less I want to change, particularly when that change is in most cases just to make some company wealthy, and does nothing to benefit me as the consumer. I find the newer MS OSs just bloated, and overly complicated with no benefits. And as I said, I like the picture on a standard tv much better than HDTV. Unfortunately, our younger people live to kiss the asses of these companies, because their generation is never satisfied with anything. So, these companies win, and us older people suffer as a result.
It's a sad state of affairs America has become......
Alvin

Sorry to hear of your failing eye sight. Do the doctors give you any hope?