What would you use to seal this crack in a homemade manzanita walking stick?

dadiOH wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 08:20:36 -0400:

This road isn't paved, per se. It's small rocks pressed into tar. They have a name for it, but it escapes me at the moment. When they retop it, there are bits of tar gravel for months, all over the cars. So it's a rough surface.

Reply to
Danny D.

Mayayana wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 08:50:15 -0400:

But that's the whole point!

Reply to
Danny D.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:mffojr$3vi$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Soft rubber grips good, but wears quickly. Hard rubber will wear better, but will not grip as well. A lot depends on how and where you use it - if you tend to drag the stick over rough concrete or twist it when you put weight on it, it won't last very long. etc.

That said, different brands of cane and crutch tips wear differently - and there's no readily disernable differences in the tips themselves.

Reply to
Baxter

chipseal

It may be rough immediately after application, but within a few days, it's as smooth as any other asphalt. I've generally not had problems with tar on the car, either; at least in San Jose.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"Danny D." wrote in news:mfgs70$h2m$1@dont- email.me:

Maybe put a tennis ball over the end when going for a long walk on rough surfaces? Then it can be removed for indoor use, or other situations where appearance is important.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Scott Lurndal wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:13:15 +0000:

Yeah, I'm in the Santa Cruz mountains. Chip-and-seal is what they call it, you're right. The airport & roads crew comes out every few years to chip-and-seal it.

It is a bit rougher I'd say, than the asphalt on the main roads.

Reply to
Danny D.

Danny D.-

I found rubber stoppers at Ace Hardware next to their O-Rings.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Macadam is an east coast name.

Reply to
Markem

Do the same thing you do to seal your wife's crack :)

Sorry, I could not resist the urge to reply to this....

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Markem wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And it's a street name in Portland, OR

Baxter

We did the same in Santa Cruz mountains - we tried it ONCE with the oil on top and went back to oil on the bottom! Our area was all private roads as was Hwy 9 in the 50's.

Mart> Scott Lurndal wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 14:13:15 +0000:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:mfi84s$m9m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

---------- Oregon Public Broadcasting

7140 SW Macadam Ave Portland, OR 97219

Directions to OPB

--------- Johns Landing

4380, 4386, 5100, and 5550 SW Macadam Avenue Portland, OR 97239

Johns Landing is one of the leading suburban business corridors in the Portland metropolitan area, offering customers an unmatched business environment and setting with numerous restaurants, hotels, and business support services. With its eclectic variety of shops and restaurants, contemporary buildings, historic residences and upscale condominiums, Johns Landing offers neighborhood charm with urban culture.

Baxter

Martin Eastburn wrote, on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:51:54 -0500:

What they seem to do here, in the Santa Cruz mountains, today, anyway, is spread the gloop first, and then put the rocks on top, and then sweep the loose rocks away.

The rocks ping against the cars for weeks thereafter, sometimes months, depending on the road use.

Reply to
Danny D.

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:s43Tw.145571 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx21.iad:

Technically, "macadam" is just a crushed rock surface. If tar is added then it's "tarmac".

In modern usage, tho, "macadam" and "tarmac" have become synonomous, since no-one uses plain crushed rock any more (pneumatic tires tend to pull crushed rock apart, whereas steel wheels and horseshoes compacted it further; hence the replacement of macadam with tarmac following the advent of the automobile).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I have crushed rock in my long driveway. All limestone. It flattens out as the weight of tires crush it into place. The small chunks and dust glue the mass together.

I can eat it up with my tractor tires, to much weight on thin ridges that are designed to fit into the ground/mud.

I had granite in the front 600' - it was never put in correctly and is just sinking into the mud. If a pre-mix of fine dust and crushed granite is laid down first - sinks in and forms a solid base, then the rock is added to that stable base.

My driveway is 1400' to the house. Another 12-14 around two buildings and back out the the main driveway. That second section is slowly taking place.

Mart> Martin Eastburn wrote in news:s43Tw.145571

Reply to
Martin Eastburn