what to use in place of plaster

Got a cinder block house with plasterd inside walls. The plaster is falling off in places due to moisture in the cinderblocks and wicking. The moisture problem has been fixed.

I'm having trouble finding a plasterer, and am told no one uses that anymore.

So, what's the fix? Is it to remove the plaster, seal the inside wall, and paint? Any other solutions?

Reply to
RB

Plaster is alive and well. It is not as popular as drywall with tape and bed. You may not find it at the Borgs. Much of their exterior work has been taken by EIFS. Contact a local plaster contractor to see where he gets his materials. My source here is a major concrete manufacturer. They have a separate warehouse with dry sack goods.

The real problem will be matching the existing texture of the finish. You can use Structolite which has everything in the bag except the water. It is a fairly easy material to apply. It is possible to use drywall compound for small repairs, but will take several coats and will be difficult to match textures.

DanG

DanG gave you are correct answer.

If you don't want to track down the plaster supplies, I have also had great results over the years using a non-sandable setting type drywall mud for the fill coat and then just using regular mud for the top coat. The physical properties of the Durobond type product is very similar to plaster.

You can make the drywall mud look more like plaster by making your final sanding with a dense very damp but not dripping sponge. This will tend to slick and compact the surface. Once painted it will be very hard for most people to see the difference.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt