What thinset to use over vinyl tiles

I plan to install ceramic tile over a vinyl-tile floor. The vinyl is uncushioned and adhering firmly to the subfloor, which is a concrete slab.
I have read that to install ceramic over vinyl it is recommended to use a latex-modified or polymer-modified thinset (which apparently retains some level of flexibility even when dry).
What I haven't been able to find are recommendations as to just what brand of modified thinset to get and, equally importantly, where to get it. Is this the kind of thing Home Depot or Lowes carries?
Any experiences or recommendations out there? I would prefer a pre-mixed thinset, if possible.

you can buy regular thinset, and the modifier comes in a jug you add in place of the water.

The little experience I have had with installation over vinyl is not good. It was done by a "professional" before purchase of the house. One tile broke. In the process of cleaning out the broken tile the tile around it kept coming loose. Finally got it replaced but had to relay about a dozen at the same time.
I put in a couple floors taking out the vinyl and laying down hardibacker. When I went to replace one of those tile I had to use a heavy mallet and chisel to get it loose.
Home Depot sells"Flex" thinset with a hefty dose of latex. Less latex is called "bonding mortar". It is priced acordingly.

BeenThere wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't put tile over vinyl with thinset regardless of how firmly the vinyl is adhered.
I *might* put cement board over the vinyl - fastening it securely - and then tile on that but the best is to take up the vinyl. Problem with that is cleaning off the residual mastic.
I also might lay the tile over the vinyl with a mastic rather than thinset.