What size ground wire?

Hello all,
I need to convert a 50A 3-prong range receptacle to a 4-prong range receptacle, so I need to run a 50' ground wire from the receptacle to the ground buss. Can anyone tell me what size ground wire to use? Is it the same size as the conductors?
Thanks.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Caesar Romano wrote:

Yes

10ga copper (250.122)
I know if you buy a new electric dryer, you can either put a 3 prong cord plug on and tie the neutral and groung together, or you can convert the outlet to a 4 prong outlet and tie together the neutral and ground. Does the same rules apply to a range?

You can use an existing 3 wire circuit and bond the ground and neutral on the appliance or install a 4 wire circuit and separate the ground and neutral on the appliance

If the conductors in the cable are # 10, 8, or 6, you would use a #10 grounding conductor
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:40:52 -0600, Caesar Romano wrote:

I believe that you will need to run a new 4 conductor cable as I think it is against code to run a separate wire outside the outside layer of a bundle of wires. In other words, one cannot create a 12/3 with ground out of 12/2 and a separate wire. You need to run a full 12/3 cable. I had to change out such a wire when we built our house.
Why do you need to convert it? Why can't you use a 3-prong cable from the range?
Mike D.
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:30:49 -0600, Michael Dobony

It's a new $800 range with a 4-prong cord so I would rather update the receptacle if feasible.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:30:49 -0600, Michael Dobony

In a replacement scenario you can usually run a separate wire for the ground as long is it is protected from damage or fished through a wall.
250.120(C) Equipment Grounding Conductors Smaller Than 6 AWG. Equipment grounding conductors smaller than 6 AWG shall be protected from physical damage by a raceway or cable armor except where run in hollow spaces of walls or partitions, where not subject to physical damage, or where protected from physical damage.
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:34:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Re What size ground wire?:

Thanks to all who commented and contributed to this.
Regards, C.R.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.