What should a new roof cost?

The asphalt shingles on our roof are about shot, and we've resigned ourselves to getting the roof done this year. The one deterrent so far is that we just don't trust the bids we're getting.
For example, over the phone, one contractor told me that based on my description of the size of the job (2200 sq. ft. rectangular ranch, fairly shallow roof pitch, only a couple of valleys in connection with the attached garage, no other complexities except for one big skylight), we're probably looking at around $6-7K. But when his estimator came out and we got the official bid, it was like $12K!
My suspicion is that once they saw that we were in a "nicer" neighborhood, they assumed we could afford more (we can't) and they padded the bid by a large amount.
What I'd like to be able to do is come up with an estimate of the *actual* cost of labor and materials for our roof and use that as a basis for assessing the realism of the bids we get. Any advice?
Alternatively, how much of the work could I theoretically do myself? Certainly ripping off the old shingles isn't rocket science, and I tend to doubt that installing new ones is either, though it's admittedly labor-intensive.
____________ Grant Petty University of Wisconsin-Madison Browse my new book "A First Course in Atmospheric Radiation" at http://www.sundogpublishing.com/AtmosRad.htm
I just had my roof quoted 2700 sq. ft laminated shingles two story house, 4 quotes highest $6700. lowest $5000. surburban Chicago area.
$2650 in Huntsville Alabama -

4
Going rate is $160.00 per 100 square feet in Lafayette Indiana. that's square feet of roof not home.
if you only have one layer of shingles on your roof & they sit pretty flat, I would really consider going over that layer with the next one. it could cut that cost in half.
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:22:41 -0500, "longshot"

That is so cheap, I'm jealous. We're lucky to find GOOD roofers for less than $350 a square in western New York.
snipped-for-privacy@suds.com wrote:

We just had a cedar shake roof torn off, decking put down and architectural shingles laid.....17 squares total. Got three quotes that ranged from $365 a square to $590 square here in northern New Jersey.
Whoever and wherever you are, don't buy a roof from "Fat Root Be Gone", The L------- Bros. , or any of their tentacles--I mean subsidiaries.
If you live in the South and this rings a bell, contact me--I want to bring a suit and put them out of business for what they did to my kitchen roof and the language they used to my attorney. zemedelec
longshot wrote:

Lafayette (actually W.L.) is where we lived until 4 years ago. Now we live in Madison, WI, where *everything* seems to be about 50% more expensive. Probably applies to roofs too.
Except property taxes, which are 3x as expensive.
--
____________
Grant Petty
Steve wrote:

$3,800 for 3050 sq. ft. for 2 story in Atlanta, GA suburb. [OCF - 25 yr.] bj

house,
Sounds in the right range. As for the differences, it could be in the specs. Tear off? Venting? Shingle type? Ed
Grant wrote:

Thanks for all the good responses so far. It sounds like the bids we got were indeed very high compared with the norm.
--
Grant Petty

The norm varies from region to region unleaded gas is $2.20 where I live your prices are probably different