What is This Cabinet Finish?

Hi,
I don't get what this is. Looks like a fine film that came off a bathroom cabinet in a couple small places and was overhanging an edge. It curled up as I removed it from the edge. If someone knows what this is and how to repair the small spots I'd be appreciative.
Photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladedah/?saved=1
On 12/11/2012 7:02 PM, James Harvey wrote:

unusual. Probably cheap pressed board underneath. No repair. Try to strop off all the old stuff and replace it. Available at all home improvement stores.
Paul
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:22:54 PM UTC-6, Paul Drahn wrote:

Seems awfully brittle for paper. Flakes easily. The cabinet itself is only a few months old.
On 12/12/2012 7:34 AM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The picture isn't particularly great owing to what is the background but I think the other poster's more than likely correct.
What would help make sure would be better closeup of the piece and then a closeup (in focus :) ) of the area of the cabinet from which it came...
If it's very new your best hope is to see if you can get the builder to upgrade to something better would be my best guess...
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:54:11 -0600, dpb wrote

I put the best pictures I could get up for viewing :( This house was a flip and I don't know who did the installation. Some posters seem to think it's enamel. It is quite glossy.
May have to have someone look at it and determine what it really is.
On 12/11/2012 10:22 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

The photo looks like there is real wood under a really bad, peeling and cracking paint job. Is the peeling stuff brittle? If so, it looks like enamel that was applied without a primer and then perhaps got some moisture intrusion to cause it to peel.
On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:50:29 AM UTC-6, NorMinn wrote:

I suppose thst's possible The finish material is very thin and brittle.

Some kind of cheap cardboard.
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:06:23 PM UTC-6, ktos wrote:
Nothing surprises me anymore :/
James Harvey wrote:

It's paint. Probably oil paint.
--

dadiOH

Looks like a lacquer paint applied to a poorly prepped surface. You can try to repaint, but probably best to remove all of it first.
On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 14:38:03 -0600, Vic Smith wrote

Hm. Stripping the entire cabinet is not exactly what I had in mind :( but it may be best to do that. I'm pretty big on DIY but I may let a pro handle this.