What is this???

I saw this on a house.....
http://s456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/doug23314/Public /
This house has an underground water sprinkler so I was wondering if this is some sort of rain gage but that's strictly a guess on my part. And even if I'm right, I have no clue how it collects rain water.

Well, all the correct answers have been taken so:
A target device for a UFO invasion?
Hey, I can be wrong, too. It's a hand washing detector. If you leave the house without washing your hands, it sends a text message to the Department of Silly Walks. The inspector will be by, shortly.
Well, all the correct answers have been taken so:
A target device for a UFO invasion?

Thanks all for the help !!!!
Doug wrote:

a plunger. When the washers are wet, they expand, pushing the plunger up and breaking an electrical contact, which in turn prevents your controller from irrigating. When the washers dry out, contact is restored and the controller will irrigate.
Its a handy device, since many irrigation systems are set to go on early in the morning, when everyone is in bed and the water pressure is highest. The water sinks into the soil, rather than evaporating in the sun, so you need less water. Naturally, you aren't up at that time to turn the controller off if it is raining.