What is the best setting for my furnace humidifier?

I have an Aprilaire 600 humidifier on my furnace and I would like to know what is the best around percent setting to set it on. I don't want to run down stairs every time the outside temperature changes and reset the device that's mounted on my cold air return to a different outside temperature. Thanks for your help. Some of the so-called know-it-alls in the group say it wastes energy, but I don't care I just want comfort in my home, and eliminate static electricity, and a dry throat. I'll worry about my gas bill myself,
Bob wrote:

I set mine so it keeps humidity fairly "high" and I have never seen it go over 33% upstairs. Remember you set it based on outside air temperature so I set mine for around 20 degrees, which is quite cold here in northern NJ. Of course the results depend a great deal on size and tightness of your home. BTW You have RTFM I hope.
LB
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:41:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

33% isn't even in the 'comfortable range" Is it undersized for your house? Or do you have many air leaks?

later,
tom @ www.MedicalJobList.com
The Real Tom wrote:

Do not think it is air leaks so probably undersized. And the little face on the digital thermometer is always looking sad at 33%. BUT we feel fine and do not have any problems (that we know of).
LB
Bob wrote:

There is no need to. Assuming it was properly installed, it will adjust the humidity according the the outside temperature for you.
"The Aprilaire Automatic Humidifier Model 600 is the newest addition to the aprilaire humidifier line. It takes humidifier innovation to the next level and performs as good as it looks! It offers all of the performance benefits of Aprilaire's more advanced humidifiers including AutoTrack which automatically adjusts humidity based on outside temperature. "
Just adjust it as per the instructions that came with it and forget it. That works for me.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I tell customers to crank it all the way up as high as it will go. i don't think it will ever put out enough moisture that your walls will be dripping.....
This is my first winter in my house I bought, and I never use my Aprilaire 550 humidifier. I live on Long Island NY. For some reason the house seems comfortable. I never had to use it yet. I guess every house is different.
Dr. Hardcrab wrote:

Maybe not the walls but it sure can cause the windows to drip.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I just installed the 600 in my home. Unless you have an older model or a lazy installer, it has an outside temperature probe that sets the humidistadt back in extreme cold. I have mine set between "4-5". Any higher and I get too much drippage on my windows and I have dual pane windows. I'd guess single panes would be worse.
Bobby
If that is the auto model unit with the outside thermometer you set it till your windows condense then back it off till there is no condensation anywhere. and leave it , then it should automaticly set the humidity so condensation never occurs.
My Aprilaire 600 has no outside probe. It just has an adjustment unit mounted on the cold air return. I put it on 40 degrees outside temp and so far I haven't noticed any condensation on the windows. My ranch home is 2800 square feet.

Bob wrote:

Since that probe is a feature of the 600, I would have to guess whoever installed it screwed up, or you just did not notice it. It is connected to the control unit with a low voltage wire. Mine was a molded two conductor white cable about 22 gauge. I did not run it outside, but into the make-up air intake for the furnace. It needs to be close to the inlet.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph,
Actually I think the older model 600's did not have the probe. I think it was a design enhancement recently. Then again, I could easily see an installer skipping it because it technically still humidifies and shaves off a few minutes of his labor.
Bobby

You may well be right, I really don't know, but their description on their web site sounds like it has always been there although it does not clearly say so.