What is the BEST DTV converter?

being able to switch display formats without delving into menus would be nice;some stations broadcast 16:9,some 4:3,some change depending on program.Having a button for that on the remote would be handy. My Magnavox 100TBMW9 doesn't have it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Feb 5, 6:50�am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

I just came back from Walmart. They had the converters on sale for $29.99. If we wait long enough, they should be free. :-) Hell, with any luck, we may get money back knowing how the government wants to take care of those who can't take care of themselves.
Seems I got screwed again by the government and business for trying to do what is right in a timely manner.
Hank <~~~can't win
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:40:31 -0800 (PST), "Hustlin' Hank"

These are going to be like the "UHF converters" they sold in the 50s. They will quickly become obsolete as the market catches up to the technology and they will be 50 cents in garage sales. I bet that may actually come sooner since a lot of people with cable or satellite bought 2 simply because they were virtually "free" with the coupon. I have cable but I got one since our cable is out during and after the most minimal tropical storm. It seems to work fine with a little UHF loop antenna.
On 2/5/2009 12:21 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Yes. Maybe not 50 cents, but I predict DTV converter boxes showing up at yard sales in the next year. And put out free by the curb the year after.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Feb 5, 9:52�pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

They were Magnavox. I asked the cashier about them, but she didn't' know what happens when you use a coupon. She said you probably won't get any money back, but since it really isn't a "sale", you won't have to pay any sales tax. She said she has yet to sell any at that price, so she wasn't sure. They have tons of them on the shelf.
I bought 2 many months ago. I need one mainly for my RV since I can't run a cable 500 miles. :-)
Hank

get dish satellite tv, you can take a receiver with you.
wierdly I tried buying a converter at sears, the sales clerk refused my purchase, claiming they couldnt accept my visa card for the balance. had to ber cash or check
this after buying a different model at best buy and paying with the same card.
i happened to want a different model that sears sold