What is it that causes home light bulbs to fail ?

Page 2 of 2
On 1/25/2013 11:22 AM, Bill wrote:

It is easy to get an incandescent lamp that has very long life. Just get a 240V bulb and use it on 120V. It will last nearly forever. But you won't get much light out of it. That is what "long life" bulbs do. There is a trade off of bulb life and light output. What is the light output of the Centennial and other long lived bulbs in this thread?
On 1/25/2013 12:22 PM, Bill wrote:

Many people only care about price and not quality so that is what manufacturers make. If people expect CFLs to be 3/$1 at the big box mart what quality do you think they will have?
On 1/25/2013 10:24 AM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:

Failure of incandescents is complex but mostly due to sublimation and thinning of the tungsten filament with time. When I bought my house over 35 years ago we had bulbs filled with krypton rather than the usual argon which slows sublimation and several of these bulbs are still in use.
As others point out there is a lot or circuitry in these new bulbs that can fail before the actual light source itself.

Careful engineering.
Tall people walking into them, and kids playing ball inside.

That reminds me of a street light that was about a block from where I grew up at. This light was over the middle of an intersection in town. The road was not used much at night as this was about 50 years ago. We would get in the street and throw and kick a football around. Once or twice every year one of us would kick the football and hit the light and break it by accident.
email.me:

Just replaced a cfl(18Watt,220Volt, Philips). Cause:bulging capacitor and brown burned plastic/electronics. Life: around .5 to 2 years. It is never a burned-out tube, always carbonized electronics. The left-over tubes are fun to play around with, you can light them with the static charge on the front of old tv-s.