What happened to dialectric unions in California on January 1st, 2010?

I tried to follow advice here to use a dialectric union to join 3/4" galvanized pipe to copper to repair a leaky galvanized pipe.
But, when I went to Home Depot today, they said they had to remove all their dialectric unions in the entire state of California as of January 1st, 2010.
Can someone confirm what is going on? I checked two Home Depots and both had that entire section removed according to the plumbing people.

Probably causes cancer if you eat them in CA. Harmless in other 49 states... unless you have a really small pooper..
I was thinking that they are known to cause birth defects in women who smoke them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

*Go to a plumbing supply and get the facts.
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:22:32 -0500, John Grabowski wrote:

I went back to Home Depot and they said California lead requirements weren't met by the dialectric unions they stocked so they had to pull them off the shelves.
Lowes confirmed that the dialectric unions must say "LF" (lead free) to be sold in California after January 1, 2010.