What gauge wire do I need?

I want to go on a 500 mile trip in an electric car. The car's motor draws 42 amps at 120 Volts AC. Therefore I will need 500 miles of extension cords. I'm aware that long cords cause a voltage drop, so the cord needs to be a thicker gauge of wire, since the voltage needs to remain constant.

Here's one for all you mathematicians. What gauge wire do I need?

Once that is determined, what size enclosure do I need to hold all that wire, and what is the weight of the wire.

Note: This wire must have a strong insulation, because other drivers may drive on it, and driving over any wire with weak insulation, will cause severe momentary voltage drops as the wire is compressed, and many electrons will be killed in the process. And dead electrons entering an electric motor can be fatal to the motor, as well as clogging the motor's electron filter.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Another stupid post by the idiot that complains when people post things that aren't, and I quote, "worthwhile".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Al or Cu?

Reply to
Grumpy Old White Guy

Step up the voltage at the source, and put a step down transformer in your car. The additional weight of the transformer will be offset by the weight saved in wire. If you step the voltage up high enough, and if Tesla was correct, you may not need any wire at all.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

He should step up the voltage as high as absolutely possible and then test the source with his tongue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Ah, but you only need a 250 mile cord.

Get halfway, stop, run the cord to the next outlet, and then start up again

Reply to
danny burstein

replying to danny burstein, ugghh wrote: Bring a generator

Reply to
ugghh

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

How do we get him to stop?