What does hz/ph mean?

Page 1 of 3
Examining an evaporative cooler, I saw the following:
HZ/PH 60/1
Does anyone know what that means?
It is on the plate that identifies the model, current requirements, etc.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

60 hz, single phase.

Hz is 'Hertz' or what they used to call cycles per second.
PH is 'Phase'... or single phase in this case.
Erik

Oh my god! Another "things I used to know" gone! What is the new term for 'hertz' now? I had to replace 'cycles' with 'hertz' back when that became standard. I hate haveing to learn new things at my age (I and Jesus went to different schools together).
Harry K

It indicates that you should not be the one examining such equipment as the basics of electricity as far as frequency and power type is beyond your grasp...
Evan wrote:

Still he can read and ask question. It seems this kind of good behaviour is beyond your grasp....
On 7/12/2012 7:26 AM, Pin wrote:

I've noticed that our friend and neighbor Evan can come across as arrogant at times, perhaps he/she/it has some redeeming qualities? Let's see.... um, no, um, no, um,..... well there's got to be something. ^_^
TDD
Evan might be elected office holder material? "Now, let me make myself perfectly clear."
On 7/12/2012 7:26 AM, Pin wrote:

I've noticed that our friend and neighbor Evan can come across as arrogant at times, perhaps he/she/it has some redeeming qualities? Let's see.... um, no, um, no, um,..... well there's got to be something. ^_^
TDD

Right, Oh Clairvoyant One! I'm sure that you didn't have to read to learn...hmmm...that does explain a lot of your replies. :)~
What Steve B posted is technically termed a "brain fart". I'm sure he had the information but the retrieval system was slow in spinning up his hard drives. I could almost hear the palm hitting the forehead when he read the first reply. It happens.

Well Put. Steve B is a big contributor to this group, as well as asking polite questions and posting polite comments.
Might have improved, since I plonked him?
Steve B is a big contributor to this group, as well as asking polite questions and posting polite comments.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Wow!. You deserve plonking way more than he does.

-snip-
I know *I* did. Smacked myself hard, too. <g>
I think it is safe to assume that Steve has forgotten more things while sitting on a crapper on an offshore rig than Evan has learned so far in *his* meagre life.
Jim

It is against EPA rules to allow any substance which was INSIDE the refrigerant circuits of an HVAC unit to be vented to the air, regardless of how safe or clean or non-hazardous you think they are -- they aren't and has to be recovered and disposed of properly... Just be the non-owner of a property working for someone else playing with stuff like this or lead paint removal or asbestos...
Perhaps you want to get caught and do time in a federal prison for environmental crimes but given how much the feds rely on mandatory minimum sentencing I would not recommend you discover how painfully brutal that process is...

You keep saying this but have never posted any evidence that this is true. Given your posting history...

Any statements this loopy really need evidence. Come on, fork over or STFU.
On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:10:35 -0700 (PDT), Evan

How do you think nitrogen should be disposed of?
The EPA laws are written for refrigerant and lubricant disposal. AC coils are brazed in the factory with an inert gas inside, usually nitrogen, to prevent oxidation.
On 7/12/2012 9:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Now Ed, you know better than to confuse him with facts. ^_^
TDD

I've been down that route with Evan. He's clueless. Those AC evaporator coils are not only brazed with nitrogen flowing, they are shipped with a nitrogen charge inside. What are they sealed with? Just rubber expansion plugs. In the real world, to install the coil, you remove the plug and Pssshh!! the nitrogen escapes. There is no practical way to capture that nitrogen period. You then braze the connections to the lines with nitrogen flowing to prevent oxidation crud inside from forming during brazing. All that nitrogen is vented to the atmosphere. It's flowing into and right out of the system.
In Evan's world, every HVAC guy is committing a crime every time he does the above. Funny thing though, we've all yet to see a single reference to back up what he claims is EPA law. Those whales must all be dying from that nitrogen too.
I think Evan should build a machine, to remove all the nitrogen from the air in his home. It's so unsafe. And might even be asphyxiant, too. Just think what could happen if someone breathed all that nitrogen?

I've been down that route with Evan. He's clueless. Those AC evaporator coils are not only brazed with nitrogen flowing, they are shipped with a nitrogen charge inside. What are they sealed with? Just rubber expansion plugs. In the real world, to install the coil, you remove the plug and Pssshh!! the nitrogen escapes. There is no practical way to capture that nitrogen period. You then braze the connections to the lines with nitrogen flowing to prevent oxidation crud inside from forming during brazing. All that nitrogen is vented to the atmosphere. It's flowing into and right out of the system.
In Evan's world, every HVAC guy is committing a crime every time he does the above. Funny thing though, we've all yet to see a single reference to back up what he claims is EPA law. Those whales must all be dying from that nitrogen too.
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 05:09:26 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

He has a point. If you get too close, you'll be breathing in that nitrogen. I read that every Alzheimer's patient has breathed in nitrogen. Must be a connection.