What do I need?

Let's say I have a sprayer with a pump that pumps X gallons per hour and provides a stream that goes X feet.

What do I need to get a stream that shoots 2X feet? A pump thet puts out 2X gallons per hour?

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

GPM is more important, it depends on what you need to spray how much and how fast and what product.

Reply to
m Ransley

All things being equal (and they never are) you need a higher pressure to push the stream further.

A pump of greater capacity might not have greater pressure.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

If it's wide open, then you may need either to close the nozzle half way or step forward one foot. What are you trying to accomplish?

Reply to
NorMinn

"dadiOH" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Volume of output has nothing to do with distance. Assuming that you are spraying horizontally, the the formula for distance travelled is V*sqrt(2h/g), where V=nozzle velocity, h=distance from ground, and g=acceleration of gravity. Note that volume appears nowhere in the equation.

To double your distance, you need to double your nozzle velocity. Nozzle velocity can be increased in two ways -- increase the pressure, or decrease the nozzle size.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Get an herbicide jet farther.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Thanks, that's what i was looking for...a formula. __________________

Nozzle size can't change so how do I increase pressure? The pump is - I believe the phrase is - "open discharge"; i.e., there is a tank, pump pumps from the tank through hose and nozzle. I suppose constricting the nozzle would increase pressure? Trouble is, the nozzle is quite small now...constricting it further creates a fine spray rather than a jet and the spray won't travel at all.

What I'm doing is spraying an herbicide on nasty lake vegetation near the shore. As is, I can't reach far enough with the herbicide.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Your only options here are to replace the pump/motor or replace the nozzle. Sounds like the fluid stream is already as small as you can get, so a new pump/motor combo would be needed.

Reply to
Murray Peterson

Volume and distance are related, in that they both depend on pressure.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

In this case the guy needs more pressure, not ore volume, to get the distance.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

dadiOH:

D > Let's say I have a sprayer with a pump that pumps X gallons per hour and D > provides a stream that goes X feet. D > D > What do I need to get a stream that shoots 2X feet? A pump thet puts out 2

D > gallons per hour?

A pump's capacity has two ratings: GPH (gallons per hour) and one I guess could be called "lift". Recently bought a replacement pump for a fountain. Want "lots of splash" so the volume (GPH) figure has to be up there. The water also has to be lifted/pushed to a height of about four feet. Some of the pump cartons had a chart indicating the GPH at specified heights (1', 2'...6'). Some pumps with greater GPH at 0' (flat) had a much less capacity at the 5- or 6' height than a pump with a lesser initial GPH.

As for the 2x stream, constricting the output will increase the distance ==> a garden hose will pour water out two or three feet with a bare end but put your thumb over the end and the stream will now spray ten feet.

No idea what to do when the hose end needs to remain unrestricted. If the pumps around here had too much 'gush' we either put a hose clamp on the output to restrict the flow or a T with a valve to redirect some of the pumped water.

  • Anagrams! Desperation A Rope Ends It
Reply to
barry martin