What companies repair cracked leaded glass on a door?

Hi,

I have a door similar to

that has a few of its glass panes cracked. My door is probably not manufactured by this company, though, but I don't have a clue as I'm not the first owner of the house.

I'm trying to find a company who can fix the cracks in the glass.

  1. What type of companies would be able to fix cracks in such a glass door?
  2. If there's any company you know of in the San Francisco/San Jose vicinity (who can fix the cracks in the glass), I'd appreciate their contact info.
  3. Is there a way to find out who manufactured the door as I was the
3rd owner of the house after it was built? Any standard markings that I can try to look for anywhere on the door?

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
105 Exeter

In this town, there are several "glass studios" that deal in old or art glass and related work. The glass or glazing retailers probably don't deal with such specialized material and work, but several here have been helpful in directing me to the custom shops.

I doubt that the cracks can be repaired. You will probably end up with replacement glass.

If there is not a label on the edge of the door, I doubt you can find the manufacturer.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

In alt.home.repair on 23 Jul 2005 17:39:35 -0700 "105 Exeter" posted:

Call some churches and ask who they use.

If your glass is that special, you may have to get some and give it to him.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Glass repair.

Yellow pages - glass repair, custom doors, etc.

Reply to
G Henslee

yellow pages - stained glass. they will either do it, or know who will. be prepared to take it to them.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

It is probably not a true leaded glass panel unless its pretty old or very custom. If the door is steel or fiberglass you have a chance of finding out who made it. Look on the edge of the door, likely on hinge side, to see if there are markings. May tell mfg. and model. If its built like I suspect then the whole glass section is made as one insert and can easily be replaced with just a few screws. If its built in, leaded dividers and all then a stained glass person will need to do the repair.

BTW - I'm assuming you know the glass cannot be repaired, any broken or cracked piece will need replaced.

Reply to
No

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, I do realize and understand that the cracked panes cannot be repaired but need to be replaced. I meant to "repair" the overall glass unit on the door by replacing only the cracked glass panes instead of replacing the whole glass unit.

Reply to
105 Exeter

In the Bay area there should be a "veritable plethora" of folks who can do it...

How expensive of a piece is it--something really unique or just one of the Borg "made to look good" types? If the former that has some real value, you'll want a competent art glass person--if the latter, almost anybody w/ any training will probably be adequate. The difference is in what you'll have to pay the former vis a vis the latter...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Look in the phonebook under door mfr, glass ( i e stained, leaded or crystal), crafters, home builder assn's. Or at any home show exhibit. There are bound to be umpteen of them there.

Reply to
jjfxcfc

There is. And this dipshit had all day to find someone. But, he's still putzing around and posting bullshit.

Reply to
G Henslee