What Can Cause A Shower Trap To Empty Out?

Page 2 of 2
On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 9:07:37 AM UTC-5, Pat wrote:

I'm not saying a vent isn't the problem, but your description of the issue doesn't fit this situation. Based on your description, the shower trap should empty every time we flush. From what we are seeing, the trap only empties after sitting for 3 weeks or so.
Over the 4 day period that we were most recently there, the trap only appeared to be empty we when first got there. Once it was refilled, it did not empty with every flush.
In addition, we don't recall this issue happening before the street sewers were replaced, even after extended periods of non-use. As I said, we don't recall it happening, maybe it did but it would depend on who flushed first. Some people, like my daughters, may have heard the noise but never mentioned it. Then the shower gets used and the problem is gone for the time being without me knowing that it had happened. Who knows.
If I lived closer, I could do some controlled experiments or at least keep track of when it occurs.

This^. Clogged vent which causes the flushed toilet to pull a vacuum which sucks the water out of the shower trap. Chech the vent pipe on the roof to see if some critter made a nest in it.
On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 2:46:49 PM UTC-5, Dana F Bonnett wrote:

The vent was checked a few days ago. It is clear.
The DPW doesn't think it's anything they did when they replaced the sewers in the street. They also suggested having the vent checked which was done. The search for the cause continues.
On Sunday, January 17, 2016 at 8:41:41 AM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I'm not familiar with power rodding. My brain goes to downward pressure which makes me wonder how power rodding would *pull* a rubber ball out of vent stack.
Please explain.
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 08:47:35 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

He tried a snake first and the ball stopped it. The power rodder (fed by electrical power) dug into the ball and was attached to the spring end when he extracted it. Probably took a lucky bite.
On Sat, 16 Jan 2016 11:55:10 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

The Sewer Rats were disturbed when the sewer work was done and they are escaping by going into smaller private pipes. Your shower trap is perfect for their escape. They just splash thru that small amount of water and they are inside your house and free. Rats hide well, so you rarely see them. Look for rat droppings under cabinets and such places.
On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 8:37:18 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@none.no wrote:

How do I tell the difference between the Sewer Rats and the rats that were already there?
Oh wait...I know! The Sewer Rats will be sliced up into little round cylinders caused by squeezing through the holes in the drain cover.