What Can Cause A Shower Trap To Empty Out?

On 01/16/2016 5:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

It does seem a little short but much would have to do with the actual conditions in the house as far as evaporation rate and what the actual trap design is; they're various shapes and mayhaps this one is "more flatter" than others. It's also possible there's some suction being applied owing to venting but my bet would it's not the issue and might as well eliminate the quickie, easy as the culprit first.

As for the question; not here, no, we don't in specfic. There was one in the basement in the house in VA but it was a floor drain with full 2" drain so the size of the trap was quite large compared to a fixture drain so no comparison.

I'd still posit as my best guess it'd behaved the same way while the house was occupied if the shower (and probably a shared lavatory?) were _never_ touched but that it didn't occur owing to there being the occasional use or even just routine cleaning, etc., that would freshen the trap without your even thinking of it or recalling that such did happen now as it was so routine.

But, yes it is possible there's a new phenomenon altho I'd really be hard pressed to think of something outside the house; there being a blocked vent from a bird nesting or somesuch would be higher on my list than that (see above)...

Good luck...

Reply to
dpb

I'm not familiar with power rodding. My brain goes to downward pressure which makes me wonder how power rodding would *pull* a rubber ball out of vent stack.

Please explain.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He tried a snake first and the ball stopped it. The power rodder (fed by electrical power) dug into the ball and was attached to the spring end when he extracted it. Probably took a lucky bite.

Reply to
Vic Smith

The Sewer Rats were disturbed when the sewer work was done and they are escaping by going into smaller private pipes. Your shower trap is perfect for their escape. They just splash thru that small amount of water and they are inside your house and free. Rats hide well, so you rarely see them. Look for rat droppings under cabinets and such places.

Reply to
kingsley8

How do I tell the difference between the Sewer Rats and the rats that were already there?

Oh wait...I know! The Sewer Rats will be sliced up into little round cylinders caused by squeezing through the holes in the drain cover.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This^. Clogged vent which causes the flushed toilet to pull a vacuum which sucks the water out of the shower trap. Chech the vent pipe on the roof to see if some critter made a nest in it.

Reply to
Dana F Bonnett

The vent was checked a few days ago. It is clear.

The DPW doesn't think it's anything they did when they replaced the sewers in the street. They also suggested having the vent checked which was done. The search for the cause continues.

Reply to
DerbyDad03