Well pressure tank leaking.....

Have a house in NH with an artesian well for water supply. Cold water well pressure tank was replaced about 10-12 years ago but not the pipes around it. Recently I had to do some work on an upstairs faucet and shut off main valve from pressure tank to the rest of the house. When I turned the valve back on, I noticed water coming out of pressure relief valve. Over time the water slowed to a slow drip. Now I notice that every so often, the drip turns into a "drizzle" and water comes out at a pretty good clip (not sure about water usage at that exact time). The pressure gauge shows 45 PSI and the relief valve lists it's rating at 75 PSI. Originally thought pressure valve may be old or clogged with sand or debris, but I have noticed the pressure gauge needle not moving at all from 45 PSI; doesn't seem to fluctuate, is this normal? I am planning on replacing the pressure gauge and then the relief valve if the pressure is fine. What could be raising the pressure in the tank if the relief valve is not the culprit and it is doing it's job? There is some kind of "Pumptrol" mechanism between the pressure gauge and relief valve. Is this the pressure switch and could this be the problem? I am trying to repair this myself but am concerned about the whole water, electricity, pressure thing. Looks like if I shut the breaker, and drain the tank everything seems straightforward except maybe the pressure switch. Any ideas. The tank is a Flexcon WR120S. It is about 4feet high and 16 inches in diameter. I couldn't find how many gallons it holds. Thanks.
Nozaki wrote:

Where is that Pressure Relief Valve located? On top of the tank? On the side of the tank? I don't recall ever seeing a pressure tank with such a vavle. The normal place for a PRV is on the water heater. I suspect you have a waterlogged pressure tank and the valve you are looking at is the schrader valve to add air into the tank.
What is the pump doing? Is it starting, running awhile and then shutting off? Does it start running the instant you open a faucet?
What are your cut-in/cut-off pressure settings? It should be something like 30-50 or 40-60 if you don't have a constant pressure system.
Harry K
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; Nozaki wrote:<BR>&gt;&gt; Have a house in NH with an artesian well for water supply.&nbsp;&nbsp; Cold water<BR>&gt;&gt; well pressure tank was replaced about 10-12 years ago but not the pipes<BR>&gt;&gt; around it.&nbsp; Recently I had to do some work on an upstairs faucet and<BR>&gt;&gt; shut off main valve from pressure tank to the rest of the house.&nbsp; When<BR>&gt;&gt; I turned the valve back on, I noticed water coming out of pressure<BR>&gt;&gt; relief valve.&nbsp; Over time the water slowed to a slow drip.&nbsp; Now I notice<BR>&gt;&gt; that every so often, the drip turns into a "drizzle" and water comes<BR>&gt;&gt; out at a pretty good clip (not sure about water usage at that exact<BR>&gt;&gt; time).&nbsp; The pressure gauge shows 45 PSI and the relief valve lists it's<BR>&gt;&gt; rating at 75 PSI.&nbsp; Originally thought pressure valve may be old or<BR>&gt;&gt; clogged with sand or debris, but I have noticed the pressure gauge<BR>&gt;&gt; needle not moving at all from 45 PSI; doesn't seem to fluctuate, is<BR>&gt;&gt; this normal?&nbsp; I am planning on replacing the pressure gauge and then<BR>&gt;&gt; the relief valve if the pressure is fine.&nbsp; What = could be raising the<BR>&gt;&gt; pressure in the tank if the relief valve is not the culprit and it is<BR>&gt;&gt; doing it's job?&nbsp; There is some kind of "Pumptrol" mechanism between the<BR>&gt;&gt; pressure gauge and relief valve.&nbsp; Is this the pressure switch and could<BR>&gt;&gt; this be the problem?&nbsp; I am trying to repair this myself but am<BR>&gt;&gt; concerned about the whole water, electricity, pressure thing.&nbsp; Looks<BR>&gt;&gt; like if I shut the breaker, and drain the tank everything seems<BR>&gt;&gt; straightforward except maybe the pressure switch.&nbsp; Any ideas.&nbsp; The tank<BR>&gt;&gt; is a Flexcon WR120S.&nbsp; It is about 4feet high and 16 inches in diameter.<BR>&gt;&gt;&nbsp; I&nbsp; couldn't find how many gallons it holds.&nbsp; Thanks.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Where is that Pressure Relief Valve located?&nbsp; On top of the tank?&nbsp; On<BR>&gt; the side of the tank?&nbsp; I don't recall ever seeing a pressure tank with<BR>&gt; such a vavle.&nbsp; The normal place for a PRV is on the water heater.&nbsp; I<BR>&gt; suspect you have a waterlogged pressure tank and the valve you are<BR>&gt; looking at is the schrader valve to add air into the tank.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; What is the pump doing?&nbsp; Is it starting, running awhile and then<BR>&gt; shutting off?&nbsp; Does it start running the instant you open a faucet?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; What are your cut-in/cut-off pressure settings?&nbsp;&nbsp; It should be<BR>&gt; something like 30-50 or 40-60 if you don't have a constant pressure<BR>&gt; system.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Harry K</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>Never seen a pressure tank come with a pressure gauge dosen't mean you don't need one</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>a PRV for pumps is 75 psi since your pump can be ruined &nbsp;at about 80-90 psi</FONT> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>a water heater Temperature Pressure Relief Valve is about 120 psi and is to high for a pump </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>And most pressure tanks are rated to 100 psi so your Temperture Pressure Relief Valve </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Will never come in to play </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>It goes between the pump and the pressue tank not on top,side etc</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>As for the op your plan is a good one the gauge should move</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Spud</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Thanks everyone for the info. Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.