Waterproofing a brick front porch

I have a brick front porch and my termite contractor said water was leaking through it. It has a brick and mortar walking surface. He said the moss growing on it was a sign of leaks into the dirt fill.

(The termite treatment should work anyway, btw)

He suggested getting the top replaced with concrete. But I was looking for something easier.

I guess I should examine the mortar and fix any breaks. Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Tom Adams

Tom, this doesn't add up so well. The moss, especially if it is green colored is due to the sun not shining on the porch or some other condition that doesn't allow the surface to dry out. If the top of the porch was only bricks and mortar laying on soil, it would have disintegrated years ago. The only way the bricks could be there is with a full concrete bed under them. You may have other issues, but you're off to a bad start. If the bricks and mortar are in petty good condition it can be sealed with a Silane or siloxane masonry type sealer, but you've said you need to repair mortar so I don't think this is your condition. The best permanent cure probably will be concrete. If you want to just get by for a while, you might try topping the brick work with a topping cement like Mapei Planipatch or similar.

Reply to
DanG