Water Softener Maintenance-- Fleck 2510 Valve

My new house in on a well, and I have an iron extractor with a Fleck 2510 valve. The water is awful, and the injector orifice has to be cleaned/replaced often. I figured I could save myself the cost of a few service calls by doing this routine maintenance. Last time the serviceman came out, I watched how he replaced the injector; it's a simple, straightforward procedure. What I didn't see, however, is how he relieved the tank pressure before removing the injector. When I start to remove the cover plate, I get sprayed. I am switching the valve to "Bypass" before starting to work. The manual is no help.
Can anyone here point me in the right direction? TIA.
turn off the pump and open a faucet? If you have a pressure tank you could let the air out if you need to from the valve at the top!
Wayne

By-pass the unit then run it through the various positions of backwash. You do that by opening up the timer and watching the pins/holes in the pin wheel and not moving the knob out front until the piston stops. Or shut off the water past the pressure tank, open a faucet and then put it in by-pass. But it seems you have other problems than a blocked injector. BTW, is this a softener? Most filters don't regenerate so they don't have an injector.
Gary Quality Water Associates www.qualitywaterassociates.com Bulletin Board www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2