Water shut off, again

Opertating the heater with the INLET valve turned off and taps closed is dangerous.

Reply to
clare

If the hot water was just used (before closing valves) then the water in the tank is cold. Water expands as it's heated. The expansion will force a few drops of water out the TP valve.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

EXPANSION! I've had to install expansion tanks on water heaters where the plumbing system wasn't large enough to accommodate the increase in volume when the water is heated. The T&P valve will pop open all the time until it starts leaking. I wish I could get my friend who is a master plumber with many years experience to chime in to this group. When you've worked in the construction and service industry for several decades like I have, you will tend to absorb a lot of knowledge by observing and asking questions of other people who work in many different fields and trades. Ben there, done that, seen that applies to anyone who's been around long enough, unless they're in a coma. "The Dumb Ass Effect" is why I put locks on valves, safety switches, electrical panels and a myriad of other devices. Warning signs encourage dumb asses to play with things. Understanding dumb asses has provided me with a lot of entertainment. I once hooked a fire horn to a latching switch that was marked "DO NOT TOUCH THIS SWITCH". I can't count the number of times I laughed at some poor moron who just could not resist the temptation to fiddle with it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

TDD-

You are correct.....

IF the water heater is cold (ie not at operating temp) WHEN BOTH valves are closed.....

YES the T/P valve will relieve the pressure due expansion IF BOTH both remained closed during this "procedure"

and if IF the pressure exceeds the limit of the T/P

btw water heater tanks are not infinitely rigid......I'm too lazy to calc the volume change from 75 psi to 150

btw this would a one time event unless your "example dumb ass" keep opening & closing the valve and letting the water.

my condolences for your pain of having to work & interact with dumb asses

I have fun trying to make things more idiot resistant and since there are a lot of idiots, I dont run out of fun.

one way to make the two valve installation more idiot resistant.....remove the handle from the outlet ball valve

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

The problem with removing the handle of a gate valve is that the dumb asses have discovered vice grips. I like ball valves with a lock around them. There are locking enclosures that wrap around valves but the drain bamaged know how to use chisels and hack saws. More work for me.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My further condolences.....

the breed of "dumb asses" that have access to you & your installations are way dumber and more persistent than my SoCal "lazy dumb asses"

I will continue to do my installations per my designs since all my installations seem to be inaccessible to your types of dumb asses. I have never suffered from the efforts of your types of dumb asses. Although I have see some majorly dumb things done .......... not in the league you describe.

Luck or design? Who knows.......

btw I never mentioned removing the handle on a gate valve.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

I was in an old country shop, one time. They had a nice neat wooden plaque that said "in case of fire, lift flap". I did. Under it, nicely painted, said "I said, IN CASE OF FIRE, stupid!"

I like you one with the fire horn.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Loosen nut. Use handle from other side after closing first side.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know you wrote ball valve, that's easy to turn with an adjustable wrench but any valve with a relatively smooth shaft won't stay that way. If you're familiar with refrigeration valves, you know that some jerk without a square drive wrench will put vice grips, pliers or an adjustable wrench on the damn thing and ruin it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas