water proof engineered flooring

I am thinking about redoing the floor of my bathroom (about 8x5 ft). Currently there is ceramic tile down that keeps popping up. There doesn't appear to be any flex in the floor but I have to assume there is (why else would they pop?). I did not own the house when the work was done so I have no idea what was done during the install. I'm thinking of doing something else aside from ceramic tile, perhaps an engineered floor. However they all only state to be water resistant, which tells me they are not a great fit for a bathroom. I aasume this is because they are really made of some sort of wood base. Are there any engineered floors that would be bathroom safe (ie water proof)? I would think if a flooring company made the base out of the same material as Trex decking instead of wood they would hold up to water (anyone know of a product like this?). I could go vinyl but for whatever reason I'm turned off by the vinyl floors I've seen.
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

Engineered flooring is for the rest of the world. I like my solid planks and will not accept substitute.
yaofeng wrote:

look into cork. it can be stained also.

Is it waterproof and usable in a bathroom?

If it was made of another material, it would not be called engineered wood. The engineered part is a plywood type of base with a veneer of high quality wood on top. It has an excellent finish. Water can get into the seams, but the "resistant", not "proof" wording. Plastic laminates are more water resistant since most are made of a plastic material on top, but can have a fiber board base. http://www.mannington.com/residential/laminateConstruction.asp Shows construction.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /.

I'm really liking the idea of cork. It appears that cork is fairly waterproff (provided it's installed properly). It was never my intention to go with a hardwood floor looking engineered floor, I was thinking of the tile looking ones (SwiftLock being one brand I saw at Lowe's). But I like what I've seen online with cork flooring. Anyone have good/bad experiences with it in bathroom environment?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

i put 1' X 2' cork tiles in a bath. i had ceramic tile on top of plywood circa 1962. i tore up the tile and used mapei plani/patch on top of the plywood. i then glued the cork down with urethane glue. cork co. recommended water based contact cement. i wanted a glue that you could move the cork a little in case of a mistake. i also used a stain on the cork then used water base poly over it. it has held up very good. i am happy with it.
I have Quik-Lok flooring (I think that is the brand). It is not a wood product, but a completely engineered material. It is totally waterproof, up to and including complete submersion for weeks. Which is not to say that some wouldn't get under it and soften your subfloor, but that's a different issue.