Water Pressure

I'm new at this so please bear with me. I want to purchase a reverse osmosis water filter for my house. I have my own well and in searching for a filter system, I noticed that some are made for city water, some for well water and some for different ranges of PSI. I need to know how to measure the PSI. Is it the reading on the tank gauge when it turns on and shuts off, or do I need to buy a gauge that I can hookup to an outside faucet?

That should be close enough . Depending on how far away from the gauge you are. City water usually runs higher than well water. Some city water supplies have to have a reducer regulator at the houses because they are so high. I would expect a well to range from about 30 to 50 psi and city water around 60 to 80.