Water leak in window seat

I recommend that you caulk/seal the outside not the inside. Stop the water from getting into the wall. Wait a few days/weeks so it is dry. Fans blowing on the area will help the evaporation.

Reply to
SQLit

Why don't you go over and hold his 'hose' for him while he checks for leaks.

Why don't you go over and hold his 'hose' for him while he checks for leaks.

Translated: "I don't have a clue how to help you so I will refer you out"

Reply to
G Henslee

Start at the top of the window and caulk all around the window and the wall surface. Wipe the caulk with your finger. Pressing in, this will force the caulk into the joint.

What elevation is the window? If this is a window well or on grade, then yes remove some of the dirt from the area below the window.

Reply to
SQLit

Chances are the leak is coming from the window. And running inside/down the wall coming out inside.

But if you never tried looking for leaks yourself. And this may be too much for you

Hire someone who has experience and watch them as they work to see how they do it.

Next time you will know how to do it yourself.

Best way to learn is watching others.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Where you see the leak inside is not necessarily where it is coming into the wall/floor..

Most phone books/yellow pages have a section for "waterproofing"

Any legitimate company will come out and give you an estimate before they start any work. And may even tell you what needs to be done.

Call a few and get a few opinions.

You might learn enough to still try it yourself ;)

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I have a water leak in a window seat in the den. On the outside of the house, there is brick which about three feet high which goes up to the bottom of the window directly over the window seat. I'm wondering if I can repair the leak myself by putting cememt in the window seat to seal it off. Is this a really stupid idea or would it work or should I get some kind of professional to fix it.

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
SCraig

TO THE OP

Of course you will always find handymen/tradesmen who HATE,....

That others warn their potential clients or offer free help.

Or potential clients who get several estimates and take the time to consider all options before they decide.

As the questionable tradesmen are forced not to do unnecessary work. or overcharge for jobs. And rarely even get the job once a customer sees that there are problems before a job even starts

An honest company will not request payment up front for an estimate.

And will take the time to explain exactly what work is involved, and a time frame of how long it may take. Giving the customer the time needed to reach a decision.

And never resort to running down their competition to get a job, or forcing a client to decide now.

They rarely need to, as they have lots of work already, usually from word of mouth from happy past clients

The crooks you always hear about, will resort to name calling, or never provide you with any information.

And they often carry this over into their private lives, and on the internet.

Of course, as you will see, many on the internet are not interested in offering advice, but just insulting as many people as possible before mommy gets home from work and finds out they have been using her computer. Or just looking for "sexual" partners constantly referring to things they wish would happen to them In totally unrelated posts (see above)

Fortunately they do this often and are dismissed as "another boring usenet troll" and killfiled by most quickly.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I recommend that you caulk/seal the outside not the inside. Stop the water from getting into the wall. Wait a few days/weeks so it is dry. Fans blowing on the area will help the evaporation. ________________

I don't see how to get at the leak with a the brick in the front. of the window seat at that point. Do I have to clear away the dirt around it and dig down aways?

Craig

Reply to
SCraig

Chances are the leak is coming from the window. And running inside/down the wall coming out inside.

But if you never tried looking for leaks yourself. And this may be too much for you

Hire someone who has experience and watch them as they work to see how they do it.

Next time you will know how to do it yourself.

Best way to learn is watching others.

AMUN

_________

The leak definitely is coming from the floor. I can see cracks in the stucco in the window seat. That's why I thought of going at it from the point. What kind of contractor would do this kind of repair?

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
SCraig

Thanks for the help. I have someone coming out Monday to take a look.

Craig

Reply to
SCraig