Water in the bathroom get way too hot

The water in the bathroom gets extremely hot for about 2 mins and then there is no more hot water. I think there is something definitely wrong with the water heater. The funny thing is that its only a year old! Any suggestions???

Reply to
amitap77

The problem only exists in the bathroom? Not the kitchen sink?

Is it a problem in the bathroom sink AND the shower, or just one of them?

Where you see the problem, do you have single handle faucet(s), or two knobs, one for hot and one for cold?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Is it electric,if it is maybe only the top element works, check its setting.

Reply to
m Ransley

But only in the bathroom? I forgot to ask the OP if there are separate water heaters for kitchen and bathroom.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I would normally say dip tube or if electric, lower element, but ONLY in the bath?? How about getting back to us and tell us some more details, like is it a problem elsewhere? Is it only one faucet in the bath? etc.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

What DOES happen if you have a temp-regulating bathtub valve, and swap the hot and cold?

Reply to
Goedjn

I think you end up getting dirty instead of clean, and afterward, the towel makes you wetter.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

you get positive feedback instead of negative and the valve will go to either full cold or full hot as you pass the setpoint.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Positive feedback? Negative feedback?

He was talking about the shower, not eBay....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Some people don't know what "positive" and "negative" mean. Negative feedback is used in more places than positive. Even in AGC (Automatic Gain Control) in radios.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It *was* AVC, automatic Volume Control in radios, and AGC in tvs. (although they might be both AGC these days. I don't know.)

mm

I hear "AVC" more than "AGC", but "AGC" seemed more correct (considering that that's what it does).

Also (considering negative feedback), I remember reading about steam turbines using negative feedback to control speed (valve would let more steam in if speed was too low). Then there was this man who hated machinery, and liked to change that feedback to positive.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I suspect the word "gain" has little meaning to some people, as compared to "volume". On a related note, our local supermarket chain now sells "fat free milk", instead of "skim milk", to cater to a generation of illiterates.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

My interest in electronics and computers may have started because these things are relatively simple. Consider that electrons never decide to stop flo0wing for a few minutes because they're mad at you for wearing red shirts and using the number six too much.

I'm seeing more of that here. Ordinary bread can be labeled "cholesterol free".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It's more specific, but it also controls volume and that was the goal. They might have used a blanket over the speaker if they could have made it "automatic" ! (Come to think, they used to use doors in front of the speaker to adjust volumne.)

So they're both right.

I think they sell both here!!! This has confused me for quite a while..

mm

And I seem to have heard that the first jukeboxes actually used pipes to distribute the sound.

Yes, although I thought "gain" was more right. Since that's what's actually being adjusted. the effect on "volume" is indirect.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I would have let it drop. ;) That's why I said they're both right.

But actually I think AVC is more right. Where is it written that directness is thE criterion which determines what something should be named. Do we call the channel selector on a tv the turner-frequency-adjuster? Do we call the contrast adjustment the video bias adjustment? Do we call the brightness the anode amplitude control?***

I think it is just as or more right to name things after what we intend, and the goal is to adjust the volume.

***I don't actually know where in the circuit these controls are found, but the name given to them is based on function, not circuitry.

:-)

mm

Some bottled water says "fat free" on it. Sheeesh......who's their target customer? Retarded sledge hammers?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I said that I used "AGC" because that circuit itself is adjusting the gain of an amplifier (sound is not involved at this point). Volume (actually too non-specific, volume of WHAT?) is an effect of this.

I was just indicating a personal preference, and making no comment on anyone else's choice.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd