Water heater wire - conduit or romex?

Page 1 of 3

I'm putting in a new cold water heater along with the wire to run it. I will be using 10 gauge solid with a ground wire, and stapling it to the joists in the crawl space under the house.
The old wires were single wires run through a flexible conduit. The big boxes I called said that romex 10/2 w/ground would be fine to run in the crawlspace, stapled to the joists.
One store recommended style UF, the other said just any old romex would do.
What say you: single conductors run inside a conduit, regular romex, or romex UF?
Jon
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:28:09 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

did.
As I understand it, UF if ultraviolet light resistant. Not an issue, in crawl space. Might also have separately shielded ground, also not a big issue. I'd reuse the existing wires, or run romex.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Some is, some isn't. The "U" has nothing to do with "ultraviolet".
UF stands for "underground feeder".

10/2 RX should be fine indoors in a dry location. Code does not permit it to be stapled to the underside of floor joists. It must be run through bored holes in the joists. Running on the side of joists is okay, but in either case the wire must be at least an 1 1/4" from the edge. You can run conduit on the underside of joists.
Why not just pull new wires through the existing flexible conduit? BTW stranded wires are easier to pull.

Why bother? What's wrong with using the existing wiring??
John Grabowski wrote:

Ah, thanks John, sounds like the romex is out, and the conduit is in.
For the ground condcuctor, do I have to use 10 gauge, or could I use say a 14 gauge? And can I just use bare wire in the flexible metal conduit?

Aye, it seems that is all that is available around here in bulk, so stranded it is.
Jon

John's advice is incorrect.
He's right that it's not permitted to staple romex to the underside of joists. But it's *not* true that "it must be run through bored holes in the joists." If you need to run romex across joists, it's perfectly acceptable to nail a board across the joists, and staple the romex to the board.
But what's wrong with re-using the existing wire?

Yes.
No.

Yes.
On Nov 14, 9:03pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

What is a cold water heater? Most of us use hot water heaters to make hot wate, either gas or electric..
On 11/14/2009 7:46 PM hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net spake thus:

No.
I give the OP 25 points for not using that god-damndest stupidest construct in the English language, "hot water heater".
A water heater doesn't heat hot water. A water heater HEATS COLD WATER.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

Well, it's not totally silly. It could just be vernacular for "heater for producing hot water", as opposed to a hot-air heater. AND, strictly speaking, since hot water is perty arbitrary, a hot water heater indeed heats hot water, making it, well, hotter.
And then, there are hot water heaters and goddammed-hot hot water heaters.
Ackshooly, "water heater" would suffice, eh?
--
EA

On 11/15/2009 7:19 AM Existential Angst spake thus:

It suffices for me. Gas water heater or electric water, take your choice.
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I glad you appreciated that. :-)
Jon
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 03:03:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You've been asked four times now by three people.
Are you just going to take and give nothing back?

mm wrote:

What he wrote only means one thing:
"I'm putting in a new cold water heater along with the wire to run it"

That doesn't say WHY not the original wires, which is what people asked.

gas, propane, or oil fired heater???????
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Here is the equivalent of a few thousand words as to why:
http://i33.tinypic.com/34fk8jl.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/308ffif.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/728505.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/qsaakh.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/3149tfk.jpg
Jon

*Thanks for the pics Jon. Yeah I guess it's time for an upgrade. That's not Flexible Metal Conduit in the hand. It is BX cable.

heater.