Water damage on walls

With all of the rains we have been getting in Southern California, I have had a few leaks, and some water damage on a couple walls.
I hear the best way after removing the peeled paint, is to use wallboard compound, sand, and then repaint.
Is there any special tricks (sanding or otherwise) to get a flush surface? Any other tricks for water damaged paint?

Kills works well for the stains I have had. Kills first then paint. I have never had peeling paint. Just stains from the leaks.
SQLit wrote:

Don't you mean "Kilz"? I hope the original poster fixed the leaks in the roof first, before repairing the walls. --Mike
There was a post about how wonderful Kilz is recently. If I understand correctly, it seeps through the wall and patches any leaks it finds in the entire house, with just one application.

Matt I get a laugh at some of your replies. BUT some posters may take your replies seriously. W W
Yeah, I hear ya mate. I'll try to tone it down a bit. But I _was_ serious about the Kilz.