Wall Switch Timer leaks????

Page 2 of 2

I checked the bulb, it is one of the energy saving variety, i.e. not strictly incandescent but not fluorescent either. It uses the same socket as incandescent.
I assumed that the switch timer would draw some small current but I did not expect it would be big enough to make the bulb flicker. I tried an incandescent bulb and it does not flicker.
Does anybody know of a switch timer that would use a standard battery (min 6 months without replacement) and would operate the patio light as a standard 2-way wall switch without drawing any current??
[snip]

I replaced two bulbs in a ceiling fixture with CFLs. The light is controlled by an X10 switch, and yes, the bulbs DO flicker slightly when the power is turned off. But a VM shows no voltage at the sockets when the switch is off. According to a knowledgable contact at a local lighting showroom, the flickering is not uncommon with CFLs, and he suspects that it is caused by EMI affecting the bulbs themself, outside of the normal electrical circuitry. It may not be the timer that is causing your effect --

It's probably a CF (compact fluorescent). Which is why it didn't work right. These things aren't simple resistive devices, and may behave erratically when fed too little power for continuous full voltage operation. Eg: flashing.

I've never seen such a beast. It takes a fair amount of power to switch, and you probably won't get enough lifetime on a battery.
Unless you can get a neutral to the switch (and go to a timer that uses a neutral), or, switch to incandescent, you may be out of luck.
It is _possible_ that a dimmable CF bulb will behave properly because they're designed for variable power levels. Dimmable CFs are newer, and harder to find. Here's one list of dimmable CFs:
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagIDc3&fixture=0&shape=0&feature1=1
Our Home Depot has dimmable R30s, R38s and R40s - which are all floods. It may have other types, but I didn't see them.
--
Chris Lewis,

What is the brand and model number of the timer?